Ticking Sound After And Shut-off The Engine

In my 98 ES300 with 125K, I hear a sound similar to a wall clock ticking somewhere from the bottom of the vehicle after I drive for a while and shut-off the engine. This sound only lasts for 5 mins and stops. During my last visit to my dealer, I brought this to the service manager's attention. He said, this is usual and the noise is due the fact that the metal Exhaust pipe will contract a bit. I would like to know, if anyone in this forum have ever experienced such thing in your Lexus. If yes, can you share your thoughts or diagnostics.

Thanks in advance!

My Lexus makes the same ticking noise, as did my last car (BMW 3 series) and the car before that (Nissan Maxima). I'm pretty sure this is a common sound as the engine, exhaust, etc. cool down.

In my 98 ES300 with 125K, I hear a sound similar to a wall clock ticking somewhere from the bottom of the vehicle after I drive for a while and shut-off the engine. This sound only lasts for 5 mins and stops. During my last visit to my dealer, I brought this to the service manager's attention. He said, this is usual and the noise is due the fact that the metal Exhaust pipe will contract a bit. I would like to know, if anyone in this forum have ever experienced such thing in your Lexus. If yes, can you share your thoughts or diagnostics.

Thanks in advance!

normal noise. It is cooling of exhaust most times as byohzrd said. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks folks for your great insight. I feel comfortable now. As I bought this vehicle couple of weeks ago, I am still in the process of figuring out, if there are any hidden problems that I may not be aware of...

How many master keys do you have?

I also have a 98' ES300 and the sales rep failed to communicate that the only key which came w/ the car was a valet. Had to jack Lexus back by having them buy me a brand new ECU unit but in the end still had to go through the hassle and pay for the labor of installing the unit.

How many master keys do you have?

I also have a 98' ES300 and the sales rep failed to communicate that the only key which came w/ the car was a valet. Had to jack Lexus back by having them buy me a brand new ECU unit but in the end still had to go through the hassle and pay for the labor of installing the unit.

Only one key came with the car, when I bought it from a pre-owned car dealer. I was thinking that was not the master key. I came to this forum to get help and remember, you re-directed me to one of the threads where you had info about the Lexus Immobilization program. So, I went to my Lexus dealer and requested him to contact Lexus for this purpose. But, my dealer refused to contact Lexus and proved me that the only key I own is _the_ Master key. It opened the trunk, glove box etc., and I was totally wrong :wacko: He also explained me that the cut in the key shank will be same for both Master and Valey key but only the chip is different.

Also, if I had gone through the route of replacing my ECU, my dealer said, it would cost me $300 labor for replacing the ECU and the first master key would cost me another $300 (key + fob + programming) :censored:

Now, I am in the process of adding a Master key and Fob from Sewell Lexus, Dallas, TX.