Rx400h Ipod Integration Via Vaistech Aic-100i

It sounds pretty good with my iPod mini.

However the interface is a bit quirky (at least to my tastes).

Below is a note I sent to their tech support today.

Questions:

1) Is there any way to have the unit SKIP the AUX input (or iPod input) when pressing the MODE button (steering wheel) or the DISC button (AUDIO System) if there is NOTHING connected to the AUX (or iPod) input? I only plan on using this for the iPod interface it provides. I think not displaying a choice is cleaner as it unclutters the interface. Note you cannot even select TAPE or CD on the factory audio system if no media is loaded.

2) The installer left the AIC-100i in MD mode. No text displays for iPod songs or playlist titles. Is there anything to be gained by switching it to CD Emulation MODE? Leaving it in MD MODE seems to make it easier to determine the "extra" inputs are active since displaying "MD1" is clearly different from "CD" being displayed.

3) When I press the DISC button (audio system) it cycles through the options (built-in CD, AUX and iPod) per your manual. However, when I use the MODE button (steering wheel). It does not first go to the AUX and then to the iPOD interface. It goes to AUX the first time through and then through the FM/AM/CD cycle again and then goes to the iPod interface on the second iteration. This is not good.

4) The manual says AUX appears as 11-1 (since MD Text isn't active in my car) with MD1 in the display, but it also says it supports 12 playlists on the iPod with MD1 also in the display. If I have 11 (or more) playlists, when I start playlist 11 won’t the two modes be indistinguishable?

Please advise.

NOTE: If you are coming out with revised firmware to fix these issues, I'd be happy to test it for you.

You mentioned that the MD-text doesn't work in your car...  Do you have the standard or upgraded stereo for the RX400h? Do you have the rear DVD entertainment system?

Mike

upgraded. I do not have the factory rear dvd system. I opted for the audiovox units in the headrests since the factory center drop down unit seemed to block my view and others said it hurt their necks to always have to look at the center.

I've been looking at this device on the web but havn't run across anyone who has one. Would appreciate it if you could answer a few more questions.

Where in the car did you have the AIC-100i installed? Any problems with the factory installed components after installation? Can you tell if the iPod sound quality is better than other iPod connection methods (cassette or FM-transmitter)? Would you recommend the device (inspite of the interface quirks you've identified)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all... just thought I'd add my 2c as I just bought an RX330 and have had the same VAIS AIC-100i installed. My dealer did it for me, as I negotiated the price of the car with the unit installed. And no, it did not affect my warranty in any way.

When I first looked at the unit, I was told that ALL lexus head units supported MD-Text. Apparently they have now changed their tune, and it explicitly states that the RX DOES NOT support MD-Text. Which completely blows, but hey... I guess you cant have it all. The big problem with MD mode is that it obliterates your display (in the iPod) and you cant see what the hell tune is playing, and so its essentially a waste of time (when you have a 40GB iPod, its really nice to surf the choons graphically rather than by number alone). I run mine exclusively now in AUX (Simple) mode.

And lastly... about the sound quality... its hands down better than any tape adapter and there really no point in comparing it to an FM transmitter. I owned an iTrip for a short time, but I ditched it shortly there after. I have my Honda Accord hardwired as well (with a different interface) and I really dont know how I lived with that iTrip at all.

Now having said all that, thus unit is the only true hardwiring option available for the Lexus, and so if youre going to get anything... get this. What I dont understand it why Lexus (or any luxury car manufacturer) doesn't simply add a dock connector to the dash and then I could just snap my iPod right in. It would be beyond simple.

But then I guess thats asking too much.

As an aside, there is a guy who has this installed in a GX470... and his MD-Text works. So my question is, can I swap out my RX radio for a GX radio (the dash certainly looks very similar) and get the MD-Text function ?

Hmmmm....

upgraded. I do not have the factory rear dvd system. I opted for the audiovox units in the headrests since the factory center drop down unit seemed to block my view and others said it hurt their necks to always have to look at the center.

Hi intensifi,

i was wondering where you got the audiovox units installed?

did the dealer do that for you and if you dont mind...what was the cost?

thanks much...just trying to decide whether or not to get the factory RSES.

• 6 months later...

Hi intensifi,

i was wondering where you got the audiovox units installed?

did the dealer do that for you and if you dont mind...what was the cost?

thanks much...just trying to decide whether or not to get the factory RSES.

Pro Audio, Union City, CA

My dealer fronted it for me so I had not risk.

The key to getting the VAIS unit to work correctly with the RX 400h is to set it to CD emulation, not MD - there's no problem identifying which unit is active, since the display on the radio shows CD for the real CD player. and CD1 for the VAIS unit. Setting things to CD emulation allows the CD text feature to work correctly so that you can see song titles etc.

The rest of the interface quirks are real and apparently insouble, but you get used to them after a while...

The key to getting the VAIS unit to work correctly with the RX 400h is to set it to CD emulation, not MD - there's no problem identifying which unit is active, since the display on the radio shows CD for the real CD player. and CD1 for the VAIS unit. Setting things to CD emulation allows the CD text feature to work correctly so that you can see song titles etc.

The rest of the interface quirks are real and apparently insouble, but you get used to them after a while...

In VAISTech's website they show the ipod interface in the nav screen, with text and all that. ... Is this the case on your RX-400h's? ... My CD changer is run entirely through the radio unit and controls, no audio settings views are available in the nav screen ... does the VAIStech solution add this? Where are they getting those screen shots of the ipod running through the nav screen?

Thanks!

Greg

snip...

Now having said all that, thus unit is the only true hardwiring option available for the Lexus, and so if youre going to get anything... get this. What I dont understand it why Lexus (or any luxury car manufacturer) doesn't simply add a dock connector to the dash and then I could just snap my iPod right in. It would be beyond simple.

But then I guess thats asking too much.

As an aside, there is a guy who has this installed in a GX470... and his MD-Text works. So my question is, can I swap out my RX radio for a GX radio (the dash certainly looks very similar) and get the MD-Text function ?

Hmmmm....

I believe the BMWs have an IPOD interface. don't know if it is the snap in type or what. Just heard that it was available.

So I just re-installed the latest 100i unit with the latest firmware.

I had viastech disable the aux port so this is just an ipod adapter. I had them do this because it was not able to detect nothing was connected to the aux port. I didn't like always seeing the empty (quiet) aux port when I cycled through the cd choices.

the latest firmware also fully supports the RX radio in Cd text mode. I see the title for the songs and they now change as the songs change. when you restart the car, the text update kicks in as expected. Before you had to turn the radio off then on again. and even then the text output was problematic.

The only nit I still have (and this is not that big a deal) is the gain via the viastech is about 10% less (my ears) than the built in radio/cd. what this means is you have to turn the sound up when you select the viastech.

If you want the most seamless ipod experience upgrade to the latest firmware.

As to the nav screen question, the RX radio doesn't use it - so the viastech doesn't either.

What did you have to do to upgrade your firmware? I'm not too thrilled about pulling my unit out of the dash but if it corrects some of the quirkiness I'd do it.

The unit had to be swapped out.

I suggested they make it upgradeable via putting a firmware upgrade file on the ipod. We'll see if that happens in newer units.

The new name for the AIC-100i seems to be the SoundLinQ (SLI). It sports 2 audio inputs, with one dedicated to the iPod and the other a universial input (no controls). And, I take it, is housed in a smaller package.

There still exists a AVIC-100i which has 4 ports (2 audio / 2 video) with one audio dedicated to the iPod and one video dedictated to the backup camera (no sound). That leaves an A/V set for the connection of a DVD player. However, this unit is currenly under redesign and unavailable (according to their web page)

What I would like to eventually have is my ML stereo able to play the audio portion of a DVD (3rd partly player) while watching the video portion on the front screen (while parked). I would also like to control my iPod from the ML unit and see the titles etc...

Does anyone have experience with such a setup? Do I need the AVIC unit or can I use the SLI and whatever exisiting video ports already exist in the car?

Also, were can one find instructions for how to disassemble the dashboard and gain access to the ML audio and NAV system inputs?

Thanks in advance for any helpful insights.