Speedometer In Sc300

I have a 1993 Lexus SC300. The speedometer needle light is not working and also the needle is not showing the correct speed. It moves very slowly and when I am doing 60mph it will show 20mph. The needle will not even move when the weather is cold.

I took the car to a local mechanic. He told me that the speedometer sensor needs to be changed. ($200)

I took the car to another mechanic for a second opinion. He told me that the entire instrument cluster needs to be changed. ($500).

Which one is true? Can I just change the speedometer sensor or should the entire instrument cluster be changed?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• 2 months later...

I have a 1993 Lexus SC300. The speedometer needle light is not working and also the needle is not showing the correct speed. It moves very slowly and when I am doing 60mph it will show 20mph. The needle will not even move when the weather is cold.

I took the car to a local mechanic. He told me that the speedometer sensor needs to be changed. ($200)

I took the car to another mechanic for a second opinion. He told me that the entire instrument cluster needs to be changed. ($500).

Which one is true? Can I just change the speedometer sensor or should the entire instrument cluster be changed?

Thanks for any help in advance.

hey bro...

i wouldnt do anything just yet... from what i know in past cars... (not sure about the lexus) is that if your speedo doesnt work its a cable that goes from the cluster to the tranny... maybe its broken, maybe its loose.... i dont know. What i do know is that it costs like 50$ and you get it all. If you go to a junk yard its even cheaper. Then again it was for an eclipse so i could be off or since its a lex i could be way off. Just giving you what i know

juancho

hi man  the needles  go out the needles will run you about 800$    go to a junk yard for toyoand lexus and buy a complete cluster that works and replace the needls  there eletronic

Have you check on how much the new cluster will cost? I would suggest checking iwht Lexus and Toyota.

• 1 month later...
hey bro...

i wouldnt do anything just yet... from what i know in past cars... (not sure about the lexus) is that if your speedo doesnt work its a cable that goes from the cluster to the tranny... maybe its broken, maybe its loose.... i dont know.  What i do know is that it costs like 50$ and you get it all.  If you go to a junk yard its even cheaper.  Then again it was for an eclipse so i could be off or since its a lex i could be way off.  Just giving you what i know

juancho

This is true for older cars with mechanically driven speedometers. All SCs use an electrically driven speedometer. There is a driven gear that sends out different voltages based on speed, and the receiving end in the cluster which drives the needle based on voltage from the sensor. So failing points are the sensor... wiring... and cluster.