Roar!

Hi, I have a 93 SC400, and I was wondering when I push the pedal down all the way, the car seems to kick itself into a lower gear, and make a loud noise. Does this give you a significant boost? And what else does this do? How low of a gear does it shift into? And MOST of importantly of all, this isn't bad for the car is it?

Thanks for your time!!!!

Auto transmissions downshift to get into the engine's power band for acceleration and power to climb hills etc, depending on load and speed. When that happens, especially at WOT, there's going to be more noise, especially intake noise. What you're saying sounds pretty normal to me, unless I missed something.

Auto transmissions downshift to get into the engine's power band for acceleration and power to climb hills etc, depending on load and speed.  When that happens, especially at WOT, there's going to be more noise, especially intake noise.  What you're saying sounds pretty normal to me, unless I missed something.

Nah I don't think you missed anything. I fiqured it was normal. So it does give you more of a boost........ say in a race or so? And what is "at WOT?" Thanks again.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle, or as you say put the pedal all the way down. Basically it doesn't have to be WOT, to cause the trans to downshift, but under certain load conditions the downshift will happen when you need more power to pass, go up a hill etc.

Also when starting out, the further you push the gas pedal, the longer the transmission will stay in each gear before shifting.