Buying A Cpo Car

swwang

I'd like to buy a 2002 CPO RX300. The retailed price over the websites are around USD 29000 to 32000. However, the price is almost near a brandnew RX330. I have no idea about the possibility of negotiation with the dealer. Is it possible for a reduction of USD 3000? Besides, there seems to be few white CPO cars. Is it difficult to maintain? Thanks!

I'd like to buy a 2002 CPO RX300. The retailed price over the websites are around USD 29000 to 32000. However, the price is almost near a brandnew RX330. I have no idea about the possibility of negotiation with the dealer. Is it possible for a reduction of USD 3000? Besides, there seems to be few white CPO cars. Is it difficult to maintain? Thanks!

i'm looking into buying an 03 rx for my duaghter soon. Pretty much every lexuus dealer areound me has them sticker priced at around 32-34k. Last week there was an 03 with only 18k miles that sold for $35,000 !! That's a little too much. I do agree that the prices are very high; they're almost worth the price of a new rx330. I can't even say the rx is worth that much.

And for the most part the rx is easy to maintain. I had all services done by my dealer. At least they know what they're doing; so i thought. I'm selling MY 03 rx VERY soon b/c of all the problems with it. It's just mine though; everyone else loves their rx300. It's just they way i drive....

And white seems to be the easiest to keep clean ;)

Good luck with your search. i'm with you LOL

We had a thread going on this, I think:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...19810&hl=theory

Anyway, you won't walk out with an RX330 for equal or less than a CPO 02 RX300. No way, not in SoCal anyway.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, the dealers seemed to have the same list prices from location to location, but out the door depended on what they had to do to the car, and more importantly, the condition.

Also, there is about a 3-5k jump in price when you go from 01 to 02.

Real world, I would expect if the list price is 32,900 you could get it for 29,500 before taxes (almost 8% here) for an 02. For a 27,900 01, I got the dealer down to 24,990 (25k) before taxes and registration stuff. But that was an 01 with 52k miles (White/Ivory). I turned this down figuring I could get 23500, and the car was sold to someone else the next day.... that's the market for you.

But the sticker price is the dealer starting point. If it says 32,900, tell him 23,900, and if he doesn't blink but says we'll see what we can do (and goes back to see the "manager") then you know you are dealing with a cool dude... If he freaks out... then he's not interested in selling cars. It's like poker, man. My guy didn't blink once... he was made of ice and probably some kind of cyborg.

After two trips to the "back" you will get a printout with their final price, and sure, it will be 1500$ more that what you really thought you could pay, but that's the Lexus factor.

I love driving this car.... Cranking the "Green Day" tunes, moonroof open, I get to work and back with low blood pressure now, and a great attitude on life.

It was worth it.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Bought '04 RX330 CPO with 22500 miles for $30900 + tt no license fee. This car was replacing a '97 LX450 CPO. Couldn't have been happier with previous car and am looking forward to the same high quality experience with this car.

We had a thread going on this, I think:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...19810&hl=theory

Anyway, you won't walk out with an RX330 for equal or less than a CPO 02 RX300.  No way, not in SoCal anyway.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, the dealers seemed to have the same list prices from location to location, but out the door depended on what they had to do to the car, and more importantly, the condition.

Also, there is about a 3-5k jump in price when you go from 01 to 02.

Real world, I would expect if the list price is 32,900 you could get it for 29,500 before taxes (almost 8% here) for an 02.  For a 27,900 01, I got the dealer down to 24,990 (25k) before taxes and registration stuff.  But that was an 01 with 52k miles (White/Ivory).  I turned this down figuring I could get 23500, and the car was sold to someone else the next day....  that's the market for you.

But the sticker price is the dealer starting point.  If it says 32,900, tell him 23,900, and if he doesn't blink but says we'll see what we can do (and goes back to see the "manager") then you know you are dealing with a cool dude...  If he freaks out... then he's not interested in selling cars.  It's like poker, man.  My guy didn't blink once... he was made of ice and probably some kind of cyborg.

After two trips to the "back" you will get a printout with their final price, and sure, it will be 1500$ more that what you really thought you could pay, but that's the Lexus factor.

I love driving this car....  Cranking the "Green Day" tunes, moonroof open, I get to work and back with low blood pressure now, and a great attitude on life. 

It was worth it.

-Dave

If you want to save money and potentially get a better car, consider searching the private party ads at cars.com, craigslist.org. etc. When you buy from a private party you have to opportunity to find out about the driving habits of the owner and find out if the owner has a legitimate reason to sell the car. You also have the opportunity to review the preventive maintenance service records to make sure everything was done on time and preferably with genuine Toyota parts and fluids.

Fast, aggressive driver = considerable mechanical wear and tear

Missed maintenance services or stretched out service intervals = considerable mechanical wear and tear.

This "considerable mechanical wear and tear" is not something that is necessarily easy to detect - even by a Lexus technician - and that's why buying a CPO car is no guarantee you won't be faced with serious mechanical problems at some point down the road.

re: "Bought '04 RX330 CPO with 22500 miles for $30900 "

I guess SoCal has really jacked up prices on these... No way you would get this great a price in San Diego... Sigh... another reason why I need a raise.

-D