Should I Send It To The Body Shop...

e2vincent

Hi Gurus:

It was my fault that I created a deep dent on front panel over the pessager side. I sent it to the 'dent busters' (to pop the dent) but no luck. I guess the last resort is sent to the body shop to sand and paint it.

Although it will be paint with matching Lexus color, I fear that this will de-value my car. Also, the paint job will not last as long as the original paint from the factory....

Please share your opinion/experience.

BR,

V.

Dealers actively look for paint work when valuing a trade-in and it will cause them to reduce trade-in value. :pirate: However if you have quality work done and can document that the damage was superficial (as opposed to possible frame damage), it will help make the case for a fair trade value. Private buyers who pull a Carfax may be scared to death of any body work on the car, but again, you should be able to allay their fears with good documentation and a quality repair job.

The alternative is to leave the dent. Unless it's a door ding, i'd have it fixed because a potential buyer won't want to deal with the hassle of a repair job and will likely overestimate the cost of repair to make it attractive to purchase.

Hope that helps.

:geek:

I'm curious to hear what you decide. Someone just hit my RX 300 this morning, and I'm wondering about the paint issue now too. In addition, I was considering having the hood estimated for repaint because I have some strange oxidation that's driving me crazy.

I have no idea what to look for in a paint/body shop or how to assess a good paint job. I did find this website with some interesting articles, but I'd love to hear other's experience or advice.

http://www.abrn.com

There are lots of good body shops that can duplicate the quality of the paint on a Lexus. There are lots than couldn't paint a lawnmower. The trick is to find a truly professional shop.

I have used Sikkens automotive paints for years, and they are great. BASF is also good.

Properly applied, you will never tell.

Last year my wife hit a deer with her 03 gs430. Believe it or not the whole front was dented in practically every way. The hood was dented, a chip was created in the windshield, the front plastic lenses on the headlights cracked; a big mess!

Anyway i got it fixed at a bodyshop my dealer recomended. They sanded it and painted it the same color it was origionally; indigo ink pearl. Within a half year i could see the bondo or whatever it's called poping through. it looked like it's bond with the metal was poor. Well i sent it back and well it looked horrible still. We sold the car a few months ago. I can't even imagine what it looks like now.

Of course that was what happened with pretty much everything broken on it. The damages were a lot of $$$ too!! Insurance wouldn't even pay much cuz my wife hadda hit it! Those stupid animals!! ;)