18" Or 19" Rims On Ls400?

harjp

I'm looking to pimp up my 90. With the window tinting, custom audio, and sunroof I'm having installed, I feel the need for some nice rims. I'd thinking 18" with low profile tires.

Anyone with thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks.

I'm looking to pimp up my 90. With the window tinting, custom audio, and sunroof I'm having installed, I feel the need for some nice rims. I'd thinking 18" with low profile tires.

Thanks.

IF money was no issue, i say 19's are the way tot go.

I actually did some pimping on my 90' LS already. I added a body kit, custom pearl paint job(got rid of the two tone grey), subs/amps, tinted windows, remote start alarm, and 18" rims. Although rims do compliment your car very well, be aware of the hazards. There are some many new highway constrution going on right now and so many potential accidents. I already cracked one rim and bent the other. I am still debating if the rims are worth the trouble. You will have to sacrifice the ride quality and slow down almost to a complete stop at every pot hole or crack in the road. So in other words if your not a speed demon, you shouldn't have a problem. Personally I wouldn't recommend 19" because are more expensive and require lower profile tires, might as well get 20" it will actually be cheaper for tires. But like I said, they do look good. :D

I had no idea that custom rims were so fragile. I was thinking about going with 18" Zenetti Mystics. They are so beautiful....I feel like a teenager gazing at !Removed! for the first time!

I'm moving to Scottsdale AZ from the NYC area, so I'm trying to convince myself that the roads out there are in very good shape.

Thanks.

be carefull with the fitting, the 1990 where equiped with 14 inch rims, going to a 18 may cause some rubbing on suspension parts or fender wells. if you take of the stocks in favor of a bigger rim be prepared to sacrifice the nice smooth ride.

Dave :pirate:

I had some 17 inchers on my 92 LS 400, and frankly, I thought it made the ride rougher and the car looked ridiculous. I didn't put them on as they were already on the car when I bought it.

I went back to factory stock size at 15 inches and some new rims from MB Motoring and it looks great...

Thanks.

be carefull with the fitting, the 1990 where equiped with 14 inch rims, going to a 18 may cause some rubbing on suspension parts or fender wells. if you take of the stocks in favor of a bigger rim be prepared to sacrifice the nice smooth ride.

Dave :pirate:

No, there shouldnt be any rubbing issues if you get the right size tire, and offset. Btw, no LS ever came with 14inchers.

I too have a 90 LS, Pearl White with grey interior, and am considering adding window tint and new wheels. What or who's tinting did you folks go with? With after market wheels, ride comfort will be compromised as you go up in wheel diameter over the stock 15". Thanks for your help with the window tinting.

- Mike

I too have a 90 LS, Pearl White with grey interior, and am considering adding window tint and new wheels. What or who's tinting did you folks go with? With after market wheels, ride comfort will be compromised as you go up in wheel diameter over the stock 15". Thanks for your help with the window tinting.

- Mike

I had mine done at a shop that only does 3M high performance metalic tint. Just remember if it's not metalic, there's a good chance that it will turn purple.

Well, now you guys have me thinking I should go with 15" custom wheels to get a nicer look, but to make sure I don't sacrifice anything in terms of ride. And of course, it would be less expensive all around.

I'm getting the windows tinted (found a guy in New Rochelle, NY that tints for new car dealers, which I hope means he'll new a great job and the film won't look like *BLEEP* in a couple of years), I'm replaced the stock audio with Alpine equipment all around (same guy who's doing the tinting will make a custom installation kit and faceplate), and just down the road I'll have a sunroof installed.

When I get to Arizona, I'll get the new rims and tires. Seems dumb to drive 2500 miles on new rim and tires.

Thanks for all the comments. I'd love to read more about what 17", 18" or 19" rims do to the ride.

Harry