Ls 430, Crippled Navigational System

My Wife's vehicle is an LS 430 Ultra. I drive it about 30% of the time. My personal vehicle is a Subaru Outback. Although Subaru is a long time in bringing a proprietary Navigational System for the Outback enthusiasts.... I recently purchased the newest Garmin 2620..... anyway:

I am ADDING my Complaint to the Multitude of Disappointed Lexus Owners who paid for a very expensive Lexus AND Navigational System with its Crippling Motion Sickness :censored: Attitude: Not being able to utilize the functionality while the vehicle is moving over 5 MPH. THIS So Limits the Navigational System, for after all, one drives their vehicle (motion).

Most Stop Light Sequences will NOT give you enough time to INPUT your route, or seek a POI. Ever try to find a parking spot, or pull over in the Streets of San Francisco.... damn difficult, and the time it would take to enter the information in the Navigational System while parked would enable some BUM on the corner to take the opportunity to come over and pee on your Lexus wheels, or how about pulling over, inputing the info and then getting carjacked. :ph34r:

When my Lexus of Serramonte Dealer demonstrated the overwhelming features of the LS430, I don't recall Bob metioning the motion sensor disabling the programing when the vehicle is in motion above 3 to 5 MPH. I wonder how many out there DISCOVERED the Navigational Short Coming AFTER they purchased and took possession of their Lexus???? :unsure:

THE MOMENT OF DISCOVERY: I FIRST became aware of the inability to program the LS430's Navigational System traveling down Senic 280 from the dealership. I thought I was doing something wrong (its menuing system does have a learning curve and the interface is a bit cryptic).... after many UNSUCCESSFUL attempts, I was irritated AND distracted which could very well have led to a collision, injuries etc....... SO, I don't buy the Lexus Liability Logic and Reasoning.... hell with all the Internal Bells and Whistles in the LS430 who's to say what level of distraction can cause an accident and incur Lexus Liability.

Although the Lexus Navigational System will ALLOW you to ACCESS the POI when it has to do with a Police or Hospital Emergency. ....... To me, when I'm hungry and have the desire for an In N Out Burger Animal Style, while traveling down a Major Highway in Calif, that is an emergency. Since the CHP discourage you from pulling over on the shoulder of a freeway, the only other option I have is to keep an eye out for an In-N-Out Bill Board Sign (that's distracting).

This :censored: Motion Sensor has even CRIPPLED my Bluetooth Phone Functionality using the on screen # Pads. This forces me to grope for my LG Blue Tooth Phone and try to dial using the phone which is FAR MORE DIFFICULT and a GREATER RISK and potential libability for Lexus.

In the words of Dr Phil.... Lexus WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????? :wacko: (Take a page from Mercedes, Acura and Others that allow the passenger/driver to utilize the functionality of the navigational system without pulling over and stopping on our highways. I just purchased a Garmin 2620 and it allows one to program on the move. There is a disclaimer which you agree to everytime its turned on. OK, I'll live with that.

Having a FULLY functional navigational system is a lot less dangerous than a female driving down Lane One of a Freeway putting on her makeup. :blink:

Seriously, I intend to bring some of the selected comments I have compiled from this forum. and bring it to the attention of my Lexus Dealership Thursday when I have the LS430 serviced. I might even take it a step further and

send it to Lexus/USA.

So what's the answer.... Lexus, RETHINK your policy, or how about expanding the Voice Activation System where you can simply activate the microphone and tell

the System to Dial "Mom" "Home" or Say the Numbers (Cell Port System Allows this), or use a command "Locate" and Say the name. I don't know, FOOD for THOUGHT...... speaking of which, there is a NEW IN-N-Out Burger which just opened up in Burlingame. Never been there, not sure where it is.... Better take my Subaru/Garmin 2620 just in case I get lost ;)

My Wife's vehicle is an LS 430 Ultra.  I drive it about 30% of the time.  My other vehicle is a Subaru Outback.  Although Subaru is a long time in bringing a proprietary Navigational System for the Outback enthusiasts.... I recently purchased the newest Garmin 2620..... anyway:

I am ADDING my Complaint to the Multitude of Disappointed Lexus Owners who paid for  a very expensive Lexus AND  Navigational System with its Crippling Motion Sickness  :censored: Attitude:  Not being able to utilize the functionality while the vehicle is moving over 5 MPH.  THIS So Limits the Navagational System, for after all, one drives their vehicle (motion). 

Most Stop Light Sequences will NOT give you enough time to INPUT your route, or seek a POI.    Ever try to find a parking spot, or pull over in the Streets of San Francisco.... damn difficult, and the time it would take to enter the information in the Navagational System while parked would enable some BUM on the corner to take  the opportunity to  come over and pee on your Lexus wheels, or how about pulling over, inputing the info and then getting carjacked.  :ph34r:

When my Lexus of Serramonte Dealer demonstrated the overwhelming  features of the LS430, I don't recall Bob metioning the motion sensor disabling the programing when the vehicle is in motion above 3 to 5 MPH.  I wonder how many out there DISCOVERED the Navagational Short Coming AFTER they purchased and took possession of their Lexus????  :unsure:

THE MOMENT OF DISCOVERY:  I FIRST became aware of the inability to program the LS430's Navagational System traveling down Senic 280 from the dealership.  I thought I was doing something wrong (its menuing system does have a learning curve and the interface is a bit cryptic).... after many UNSUCCESSFUL attempts, I was irritated AND distracted which could very well have led to a collision, injuries etc....... SO, I don't buy the Lexus Liability Logic and Reasoning.... hell with all the Internal Bells and Whistles in the LS430 who's to say what level of distraction can cause an accident and incur Lexus Liability.

Although the Lexus Navagational System will ALLOW you to ACCESS the POI when it has to do with a  Police or Hospital Emergency. ....... To me, when I'm hungry and have the desire for an In N Out Burger Animal Style, while traveling down a Major Highway in Calif, that is an emergency.  Since the CHP discourage you from pulling over on the shoulder of a freeway, the only other option I have is to keep an eye out for an In-N-Out Bill Board Sign (that's distracting).

This  :censored: Motion Sensor has even CRIPPLED my Bluetooth Phone Functionality using the on screen # Pads.  This forces me to grope for my LG Blue Tooth Phone and try to dial using the phone which is FAR MORE DIFFICULT and a GREATER RISK and potential libability for Lexus.   

In the words of Dr Phil.... Lexus WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????  :wacko: (Take a page from Mercedes, Acura and Others that allow the passenger/driver to utilize the functionality of the navigational system without pulling over and stopping on our highways.  I just purchased a Garmin 2620 and it allows one to program on the move.  There is a disclaimer which you agree to everytime its turned on.  OK, I'll live with that.

Having a FULLY functional navigational system is a lot less dangerous than a female driving down Lane One of a  Freeway putting on her makeup. :blink:

Seriously, I intend to bring some of the selected comments I have compiled from this forum. and bring it to the attention of my Lexus Dealership Thursday when I have the LS430 serviced.  I might even take it a step further and

send it to Lexus/USA.

So what's the answer.... Lexus, RETHINK your policy, or how about expanding the Voice Activation System where you can simply activate the microphone and tell

the System to Dial "Mom"  "Home" or Say the Numbers (Cell Port System Allows this), or use a command "Locate" and Say the name.  I don't know, FOOD for THOUGHT...... speaking of which, there is a NEW IN-N-Out Burger which just opened up in Burlingame.  Never been there, not sure where it is....  Better take my Subaru/Garmin 2620 just in case I get lost    ;)

HEY! HEY! HEY!!!....CALM DOWN...

WE ALL HERE BELIEVE THAT "YOU DID TEST DRIVE THE CAR AND PLAYED WITH THE NAVIGATION....BEFORE YOU BUY IT...RIGHT???"

I just took my pulse.... its under 90. During the 'Process' at Lexus of Serramonte, the concern on my part was trying to locate my Wife's favorite color combination: Silver and Black (she is not a Raider's Fan however). They found one at another dealership to my relief. We did not get around to attempting to program the Navigational System on the fly. Oh well, that's the only complaint I have about the interior functionality. Otherwise, its the best vehicle I've ever owned aside from my 1960 Valiant hand me down from dad, the American Auto Maker's Original Road Toad.:geek: Pardon my Navigational spelling error.

HEY! HEY! HEY!!!....CALM DOWN...

WE ALL HERE BELIEVE THAT "YOU DID TEST DRIVE THE CAR AND PLAYED WITH THE NAVIGATION....BEFORE YOU BUY IT...RIGHT???"

Hey again back! Nobody can check out a powerful program entirely "in the store" before they buy it. There are lots of surprises. I knew that but I still bought it because I have to consult maps as I drive by myself. Better that they be where I can glance at them than I have no NAV at all.

I believe the NAV systems present such a problem to the dealers that they are happy to get them off their lots. That is my opinion. I believe the only way possible to get a good NAV demonstration is to contact a dealer as soon as models change and tell them you are interested as soon as they have one available to demo. This may give you the time to find out but on the other hand they may not respond at all, knowing that it much better to take as few NAV units as they can and to get rid of them asap.

Another reason to contact dealers at the beginning of a model year is to allow a six-month span of ordering time if the car has to be built in Japan.

Getting a unit that will recognize your spoken commands while in motion IS a good idea. "Voice navigation" is NOT what that is called; that means it gives YOU commands to turn, get in left lane, anticipate a second quick turn to the right, etc.

I agree with all of your comments. I have a 2005 ls430 and I did not realize this was an issue until several weeks after owning the car.

I saw a thead that discussed what is needed to "eliminate" the speed sensor. Apparently, this is very simple to do but my Lexus dealer would not do it.

I would be interested in hearing from 2005 owners that have done this.

We need to find a solution for this before I kill myself trying to dial my cell phone when driving.

Thanks

Bill,

I just finished with my Second FREE Service on my LS 430. Short of Strong Arming my Service Adviser, Dean de Castro, I unfortunately had to accept the fact that because of Lexus Dealership Policy, they will not ADDRESS or FIX the Speed Sensor Problem.

HOWEVER, where there is Demand, there is Supply and it can be done by an outside electronic firm. Most of these Car Stereo places have the expertise to disable that Speed Sensor momentarily with a discrete switch, because to disable it permanently would have a negative effect on the Guidance Location which relys on that same connection. So the switch is thrown just long enough to allow you to make your phone calls, or find the nearest In-N-Out Burger.

Nonetheless, I encourage all of those interested in sending a letter to Lexus Corp of American with Copies to their local dealer (mine was Lexus of Serramonte) and seeing if they can't come up with a Software/Hardware Fix. :chairshot:

De Castro, Robert Fraley and some of the other employees of Lexus of Serramonte, CA, are sympathetic and are very much aware of the complaints about the 'Crippling Speed Sensor' on an otherwise wonderful Navigational/Blue Tooth Telephone System. :censored:

I've heard some suggest a weight sensor in the front passenger seat to disable the CMS (crippling motion sensor) but that can easily be fooled by me and others. I'd simply transport Milly, my Ghetto Rescued American Pit Bull Terrier with her 70 lbs of Muscle-Bulk, so there has to be a better way. ;)

* The Motion Sensor Switch

* Upgraded voice enabled Control: "POI" "Nearest" "In-N-Out Burger" etc.

Pulling over on the Freeway 101 during the commute hour in order to enable your navigational update is DANGEROUS and NOT the best way. :chairshot:

Bill,

I just finished with my Second FREE Service on my LS 430.  Short of Strong Arming my Service Adviser, Dean de Castro, I unfortunately had to accept the fact that because of Lexus Dealership Policy, they will not ADDRESS or FIX the Speed Sensor Problem.   

HOWEVER, where there is Demand, there is Supply and it can be done by an outside electronic firm.  Most of these Car Stereo places have the expertise to disable that Speed Sensor momentarily with a discrete switch, because to disable it permanently would have a negative effect on the Guidance Location which relys on that same connection.  So the switch is thrown just long enough to allow you to make your phone calls, or find the nearest In-N-Out Burger.

Nonetheless, I encourage all of those interested  in sending a letter to Lexus Corp of American with Copies to their local dealer (mine was Lexus of Serramonte) and seeing if they can't come up with a Software/Hardware Fix.:chairshot:

De Castro, Robert Fraley and some of the other employees of Lexus of Serramonte, CA, are sympathetic and are very much aware of the complaints about the 'Crippling Speed Sensor' on an otherwise wonderful Navigational/Blue Tooth Telephone System. :censored:

I've heard some suggest a weight sensor in the front passenger seat to disable the CMS (crippling motion sensor) but that can easily be fooled by me and others.  I'd simply transport Milly, my Ghetto Rescued American Pit Bull Terrier with her 70 lbs of Muscle-Bulk, so there has to be a better way.    ;)

* The Motion Sensor Switch

* Upgraded voice enabled Control:  "POI"  "Nearest" "In-N-Out Burger" etc.

Pulling over on the Freeway 101 during the commute hour in order to enable your navigational update is DANGEROUS and NOT the best way.:chairshot:

I'm waiting for these guys to get their product out the door:

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm

Here's a video clip of it in action: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_enhancement.htm

It looks like it will work in all of the Gen. 4 Toyota/Lexus Nav units.

• 6 months later...

How To Enter Map Destinations While Driving

In sequence

Press the Menu button on the dash.

Press the Volume button on the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen. (Where the speaker icon is located.)

Press the lower left corner of the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen again.

Press the lower left corner of the screen again.

On the screen that appears:

Press the Override button and hold it until you hear a beep. The Override letters turn black in color showing it is deselected.

Press the Back button to get back to the previous screen.

• 2 weeks later...

ABSOLUTELY Works GREAT!!! Simply UN-Crippling!!!

Tried it on my BUDDY's 2003 LX.... SUCCESS!!!!!

Addl Comments: I notice I have to REPEAT this everytime my LS is turned on. Is there a way to Avoid always having to repeat the process?

We would like to be able to use the PHONE FUNCTIONS but are locked out. Is there a method to over-ride this portion of the Navigation?????

Thank you

Greg