Transmission Hesitation

knmaynard

I'm usually just on the RX and SC sites, but looking at a 2000 LS, (certified, local trade with 54k miles on it.)

Does it have the same hesitation problems that my 95 SC400 has? If I'm rolling down an entrance ramp looking for a break in traffic, and then punch it to merge, it leaves me hanging for what seems an eternity before locking into gear. It has almost gotten me hit three different times because I pulled out as I hit it and there I sit.

If it has the same problem, I'm passing on the car, it's too much to deal with. Which sucks because other than that I'm a Lexus guy for life and really want an LS.

Let me know what you guys have experienced.

(PS - I did a search.)

Welcome to the electronic throttle setup that most post 98 models have. Have you test driven any new toyota lately? They have it too. Is it like a "1/2 second" delay, like it's thinking, thinking, thinking, then WHAM, it goes? I think there are some software updates at the dealership to download into the computer, but I'm not sure how successful they've been. Guy in my office has 05' Camary...does the same thing, hates it... My dad just bought an 05 Solara conv. for a retirement gift to himself, does it too, hates it. I've had the es and rx models as loaners from the dealership in the past, they do it too, I hate it. Just personal opinion guys, don't jump on me too badly. Many like it, or don't hate it enough to complain about it. I like the old school set up myself, of a cable and a throttle, no computer brain in between trying to think about it first.

That's disappointing, because it is a pretty big deal. The LS I think is hands down the best car on the road, but man, what a glitch to have!

Does it happen if you drive like an old guy (no offense to the old guys)?

So the Avalon has the same problem, huh.

I'll let the other guys chime in on this one, as to each is his own with this. Although, it could be a dirty intake, or something else like that. But it is my understanding that 98 and later models have the electronic throttle set up. A friend of my firm has a 99, and he's had it in the shop a couple times to fix a funny shifting pattern when turning a corner at slow speeds. I think once you get used to it, and learn it a bit, it's not that bad. But he drove my 95 a few days ago, and liked it better. I drove his, and like it, didn't notice it too much. But, I also had my foot in it a bit too, since his has that vti engine with more horse power. I think if you noticed it that quickly, then it might bug you quite a bit. It seems like all toyota's have this problem. When I drove a 04' ES about two month's ago, I noticed it right off the bat.

It absolutely does, but you DO get used to it. Dont know what to tell you about your 95, that may be another issue like nc said.

As for the LS, I always found driving in ECT PWR made it better.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this thread up, but does anyone think it is worth it to bring my 98 LS to the dealer for this throttle lag problem. I wouldn't say it is driving me crazy but it is annoying. Is there a software update like the one I read about for the newer LS's? Thanks M

BTW SW03ES thank you for the info on the wood steering wheels awhile back.

Sorry to drag this thread up, but does anyone think it is worth it to bring my 98 LS to the dealer for this throttle lag problem. I wouldn't say it is driving me crazy but it is annoying. Is there a software update like the one I read about for the newer LS's? Thanks M

BTW SW03ES thank you for the info on the wood steering wheels awhile back.

Well, if you have the time to stop by, they could run thru the TSB"S on the LS. There is a high likelyhood that they won't do anything.

Like Steve said, "you DO get used to it".....although it is a serious "glich" in a pretty much flawless auto....

Nobody likes it.....