Nice Weekend For A Diy

agc

Hey guys I just want to say thank you again for all your help and inputs. It was beautiful this weekend so I figured why not do some work on the car. As you guys might remember I needed a couple of things on my car taken care of, such as the serp belt and front brakes. Well I am not a DIY but figured I needed to start sometime, so I did with the help of this forum I did the following this weekend

1. Change front brakes with factory pads and am extremely happy with the results, old pads had about 75% used. I never realized it was so easy to change the pads on a car before, or maybe it's just the Lexus.

2. Changed the serpentine belt with the Gatorback belt and it took less than 10 mins, WOW it was extremely easy. The new belt (Gatorback) was recomended by the forum and is much quiter than the stock one (I kept the old one just in case of an emergency)

3. Added anchors in the rear seat for car seats. The LS does not have anchors to use for car seats like my Odyssey, so I added 4 anchors to the rear seat area so that I can use then as well as the seat belts. I just felt that with the seat belts only, the car seat was still loose and this was with me and on the car seat pulling it as tight as possible. So with the added anchors the car seat feels much more secure.

I was looking at the wheels and they don't look too bad, are the wheels polished because they are definitely not chrome or silver. I was considering another option, someone suggested that I should stay with 16" to ensure ride comfort, so I thought of the wheels that came on the 2000 LS400 platinum edition or LS430. This is what they look like, I was wondering thinking of these in polished aluminum, what do you guys think.

Thanks

AGC

post-6389-1113837920_thumb.jpg

3. Added anchors in the rear seat for car seats.  The LS does not have anchors to use for car seats like my Odyssey, so I added 4 anchors to the rear seat area so that I can use then as well as the seat belts.  I just felt that with the seat belts only, the car seat was still loose and this was with me and on the car seat pulling it as tight as possible.  So with the added anchors the car seat feels much more secure.

Thanks

AGC

AGC,

Can you provide some more info onthe anchors you added for the car seats? I have a 6 month old and I would like to find a better way to keep the car seat anchored (other than just the seatbelt). Did you put in a "LATCH" type anchor? This is what I would be most interested in, but LATCH wasn't available until the late '90s as an option. I was wondering if it could be retrofit into my 1993.

• 2 weeks later...

branshew,

Sorry for not replying sooner, but have been busy at work.

Here is what I did, my car (2000 LS400) already had the latch or anchor for the top of the car seat, however I felt that with the seat belts holding the car seat down that it was not secure enough. So what I did was remove the rear seat and installed anchors (from my Ford F150) onto the same bolts as the seat belts (strongest bolt from looking at all the bolts I can use). The anchors allow me to use the seat belt from the car seat as well as the seat belts. I have a Honda Odyssey and saw that this is the way they have it in the van and it just feels much more secure.

Hope this helps, if not PM me your number and we can discuss it further