Driving With Little / No Power Steering Fluid

3 days ago, I found the engine idling at a high rev and the power steering of my car a bit stiff. I opened the bonnet but found nothing amiss. There was also no indicator on the driver's panel that lit up and warned the driver about any trouble.

The engine stablised soon enough but the steering continues to be stiff. This morning, it was especially bad and noisy (when I steer, the noise from the engine compartment sounds like tyre screeching). Unfortunately, I was rushing for a very early golf game and did not check again. in the evening, I checked and found out to my horror that the power steering fluid compartment was completely dry. after driving for 8 miles, I managed to find fluid to top up. by then, I had clocked 60 miles today. and in the past 3 days since the problem first started, I must have done 100 miles.

is my power steering in any danger of going soon? mine is a 97 ES300 (90000 miles). I'm the second owner.

You lost all power steering fuild, that means you you leak. Where? i don't know look at pump, R&P.

If you have change pump Rebuilt will cost you $300 (Including labor)

if R&P needs to replace you looking $400 (Rebuilt and including labor)

Hope this help.

You lost all power steering fuild, that means you you leak. Where? i don't know look at pump, R&P.

If you have change pump Rebuilt will cost you $300 (Including labor)

if R&P needs to replace you looking $400 (Rebuilt and including labor)

Hope this help.

OEM R&P? for $400? probably not likely, not unless you know someone. Mine rebuilt was $986, i Know someone and got it for $367.

an aftermarket one will run you $400 though...i woudlnt reccoemnd aftermarket on this part, thats just me though.

if you remember, not long a go i have some noise problem and you mention ball joints. same time i did asked my mechanic for R&P installed price. He asked for $400, but he mentioned mine is in good condition. If wants in detail, i will follow. let me know.

by the way i have new ball joints on my ES300(FYI Total cost $130)

Thanks,

if you remember, not long a go i have some noise problem and you mention ball joints. same time i did asked my mechanic for R&P installed price. He asked for $400, but he mentioned mine is in good condition. If wants in detail, i will follow. let me know.

by the way i have new ball joints on my ES300(FYI Total cost $130)

Thanks,

apparenty your mechanic didnt know what he would be getting himselfinto.

PM user JPI, he will tell you, its alot nmore complicated than a R&P on most cars.

This guy i am dealing with , i know him from 20 years. Very honest and very reasonable. Sure jason is good man, but i am in houston area. He knows toyota more then people who made it.

when i call for ball joints to lexus and toyota they were asking for $269+ Part+ Allignment.

isn't that crazy?

Trust me. He is GOOD.

Thanks,

This guy i am dealing with , i know him from 20 years. Very honest and very reasonable. Sure jason is good man, but i am in houston area. He knows toyota more then people who made it.

when i call for ball joints to lexus and toyota they were asking for $269+ Part+ Allignment.

isn't that crazy?

Trust me. He is GOOD.

Thanks,

I'll just say one thing...

NEVER pay retail on ANYTHING when resources are so readily available. It isnt hard to make connections in the caar world, EVERYONE knows somwone who can get something cheap, you just have to ask.

the transmission died on me today!

i was driving smoothly and i supplied the brakes to make a turn, but after turning, the transmission disengaged by itself...it slowly came to a stop on D! no movement too as I moved to R, L and 2. restarted the engine and car then nudged along.

this same thing happend 4-5 months ago, not long after I bought it, and I sent it to my local Lexus dealer. i was told the gear discs / plates were all burnt out, and I had to replace the whole lot. in all, it cost me more than $1,000.

it has not given me any problem until today. what could be wrong??? i need advice badly.