Real Bad Smell

I have a 1992 ES300 with 221,000 on it. Still runs great, just keep up with the maintenance on it and it should be good for a while longer. Thought I'd post this odd problem for the members who have same model but lower mileage.

I was getting a very bad rotten egg smell in the cabin under hard acceleration. Would make your eyes water. I tried some different things to diagnose it. Would get it whether or not I had the recirculate button on, climate control on or not. Checked the catalytic converter (my first thought), but it's fine - replaced with OEM maybe 70K ago. Pressure washed the engine - thought dirt or oil might be getting on the manifolds. Didn't help. This winter to get better heat out of the core, I had it flushed. Guys at the shop said they had never seen so much crud come out - just tons of it. Radiator, hoses, and pump were all redone at 200K, and the block was flushed, but never flushed the back of the system. Sure enough, once the core was clean, the smell went away. Wierdest thing. If it comes back, I'll just flush it again.

Great forum btw. Every now and then when I've got a question about my ES I run a search. Gotta say if you keep up on your maintenance and detail your car every 6 mos or so, you can expect a long life out of it. I'm figuring 250K easy, probably closer to 300K. ES is the perfect NYC car. Nice, good looking, safe, reliable, and don't care too much if it gets the usual dings and dents.