Aston Martin Db5

RX in NC

For thirty years I've wanted an Aston Martin DB5 (007 James Bond's car in the mid-1960s) but I was unwilling to spend the mid-six figures generally required to obtain a decent one. I now have the opportunity to enter into a three-way partnership to buy a beautiful, completely-restored DB5 with two other trusted colleagues that I've known for more than twenty years. This would primarily be a business decision that would likely result in a profit for the partnership when we decide to sell the vehicle at some point in the future.

Most vehicles are expense items that begin depreciating as soon as you drive them home. A DB5 is an investment that will only appreciate in value as long as it is meticulously maintained and driven lightly. I would never drive such a car to any destination where I would have to leave it parked without me being right there by its side. The same is true of my two colleagues. Because I have the most storage space (as well as the most time to care for such an investment), I would be the principal caretaker and the vehicle would reside in my garage 85% of the time. Of course, whenever you take such a vehicle out on the public roads, you run the risk of some moron running into you and destroying the value of your asset. This vehicle would have to be heavily and privately insured because no regular auto insurance company would touch it.

Do any of you enthusiasts out there have any Aston Martin ownership experience, driving experience, or maintenance experience? I'll check the Aston Martin websites of course, but those folks are generally too in love with their vehicles to open up to a stranger.