Brakes And Some Other Junk

alessandro

Not sure if I'm being hoodwinked, naive or whether it's just no big deal.

*Bought my first Lexus, a 2001 470 with 56,555 on it in late January 2005.

(Colorado dealership ) CPO-100,000 miles.

*noticed some gummy residue on the 3rd tail light, the blower motor fan had a fast-clicking to it and my brakes were squealing a bit coming down slight inclines.

*took it in and they replaced the tail light on the house, ordered a new fan and then told me that I needed new rear brakes. "Huh?" I just bought it and haven't put 800 miles on it. Talked with service manager who then said " It doesn't need new brakes. You're fine." I was at 4/32s on the pads and they replace them at 2/32s.

* but going through the 161-point inspection, the brakes have to be at 50% or better. Mine, apparently, were right at 50% ( hmmmm.....) and now they are are 40%. Now I'm not great at math, but to lose 10% wear in less than 800 miles seems a little strange. At this rate, I'll be replacing brakes every few tanks of gas ( a little joke there.... :cries: )

* service manager called and apologized for the mix-up ; said that he would replace the brakes on the house if they needed replacing sooner rather than later. Which was a nice offer, but I need to clarify his offer now before the time comes and he forgets down the line.

Questions:

1. What is reasonable wear on the brakes for this beasts? I know they are heavy buggers, but should't I be getting at least 20,000 miles out of them?

2. I want to document all of this and copy some higher ups on the letter. How do I find the names/addresses of the head of service ( Lexus USA) and the president of Lexus USA?

Thanks.

50% of brake wear is acceptible under CPO. I was "hit" by this as well when I purchased my LX 450 a couple years ago. I went through the identical situation with brakes. You came out better than I did though -- they paid for half of my brake job.

Just get them to make up for it by fixing everything else that goes wrong ;)

Not sure about the exact math, but 4/32" seems a bit less than 50% wear. IIRC, the FSM recommended replacement for the rears is with 1 mm of wear remaining. 4/32" is about about 3.2 mm of wear remaining. I don't recall the exact amount of pad when new, but 9 mm rings a bell. 100 series might be even thicker than that new.