Solara Rims

exdotcomer

If Tire Rack said that 17's will fit your ES then I would trust them. I've bought a lot of tires and wheels from them over many years and have found that they offer solid advice on what sizes will fit. According to the calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp the 17's will not affect your speedometer reading at all. That means that the 17's with 215/50-17 are almost exactly the same diameter as your OEM 205/65-15 tires. Try it yourself.

Tire Rack lists 17x7 wheels, and even 18x8 wheels for a 98 ES. But I don't know about the 50 mm offset. Tire Rack may be willing to tell you even if you are not purchasing wheels from them.

I assume you will not mind having the rougher ride that 17's will provide. 15 to 17 inch is quite a jump. Going from a 65 to a 50 series tire is a big decrease in sidewall height. Tires act as shock absorbers and you are going to have a lot less sidewall height to absorb bumps. The increased width is also going to add some harshness.

I'm sure it will look great but it might be a bit painful.