Rear View Mirror Compass

I'm going to take a trip from New York City to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Is it necessary to recalibrate the compass when I'm in Minneapolis so the display is accurate?

just use the nav system instead.

I don't think you will have a problem. Its is not like the car is being airlifted to a totally new destination half way cross the globe. You are only changing 1 or 2 zones.

steviej

In the Owners Manual on Page 104, they show you a map that tells you how to calibrate the compass. There is a map showing the different zones in North America. To get the compass to read accurately you have to recalibrate it.

LexusCompass.jpg

Alan, do you actually drive by the compass?

I see it in my mirror but I still drive mainly by the road signs.

If you recalibrate it, then you just have to recalibrate it when you get home. Unless you think you are going to get lost, leave it be, use the navi system and the road signs.

Have a safe trip, enjoy the drive and the company in the car. Most of all, stop cluttering your mind with these little things to worry about. What little difference there may be between zones will not point you in the wrong direction. Look at the map you posted, you will be going from 11 to 7. Are you going to recalibrate it in each zone? Of course we won't.

What did we do when there were no compasses in the car?

Have a great time.

Steve J.

I actually use the hell out of the compass and really miss it when I'm in a car without one. However, the nav system sort of makes it useless I suppose.

I wouldnt worry about it, I drive up into NJ and NY all the time and don't calibrate it, never have a problem.

Yeah.....I'm from the old school. I always used a car compass on my trips and I loved it. I guess since I now have the Navigation on my new car I'll use that.......but I always like to glance up at my rear view compass for old times sake. hehehe.