Cr Quality Survey

The L.A. Times had an interesting article in the Business section today regarding Consumer Report's latest quality/reliability survey results, which did not look good for Lexus. As indicated, Lexus fell from top place last year to fourth place!

The Reliability survey also showed Lexus in fifth place with 11 problems per 100 cars for model year 2004, even trailing sister-division Toyota.

From what I understand, owner complaints regarding hesitation and tranny shifting issues in the ES-series cars are largely responsible for the Lexus decline in CR's quality/reliability survey. Let's hope that Lexus finally gets the message and takes appropriate action!

Martin T.

The L.A. Times had an interesting article in the Business section today regarding Consumer Report's latest quality/reliability survey results, which did not look good for Lexus. As indicated, Lexus fell from top place last year to fourth place!

The Reliability survey also showed Lexus in fifth place with 11 problems per 100 cars for model year 2004, even trailing sister-division Toyota.

From what I understand, owner complaints regarding hesitation and tranny shifting issues in the ES-series cars are largely responsible for the Lexus decline in CR's quality/reliability survey. Let's hope that Lexus finally gets the message and takes appropriate action!

Martin T.

Yeah! :angry:

As far as I know from the numbers Lexus didn't decline in ratings, other companies simply did better.

Other companies did better, but Lexus actually did WORSE than the previous year. The 9 problems per 100 cars for model year 2003 INCREASED to 11 problems in MY 2004. This represents a 22% increase in problems for 2004.

Martin T.

Yes, but not an increase in the kinds of serious mechanical problems American and some European cars always have like premature failure of the engine, transmission, suspension ball joints, air conditioner compressor, etc. Lexus's problems are cosmetic / irritation type issues like the momentary transmission hesitation, dash squeaks, etc.

Example: If you go to alldata.com and get a printout of all the technical service bulletins for anyCadillac or Lincoln, there will be 3 times as many bulletins for every Cadillac and Lincoln model than for any Lexus model.