1991 Ls400 Stereo

jmwgomz

I searched the forum and could not find any information on repairing the 1991 LS400 stereo backlighting. Does anyone know if Mikado will sell repair kits for the headunit as well as the climate control system? If so, how much $$$? Thanks!

Lexus dealer is still your best option. As far as I know they are the only supplier for these type of bulbs. The climate control bulbs are easier to change...they are screwed onto the circuit board. The radio bulbs are soldered to the circuit board so they are a bit tricky to change. When you open the radio make sure that you disconnect the ribbon cable first. If not you'll tear away the cable connected to the other side of the case.

I spoke to my dealer today and they said that they do not sell the bulbs for the stereo. They told me that the only way to repair this was to get a new headunit or get a refurbished one (through them). I sent you an e-mail. Thanks flanker.

P.S. Maybe you can send me your dealer's info. and I can order the lights through them.

Yes, I saw the tutorial by lexls. It is for the climate control system though. The lights in the climate control system are screwed in. The lighting in the stereo headunit (I saw about thirteen lights) are tiny and "soldered" in.

Yes, I saw the tutorial by lexls. It is for the climate control system though. The lights in the climate control system are screwed in. The lighting in the stereo headunit (I saw about thirteen lights) are tiny and "soldered" in.

Maybe I can help you. I replaced my radio ('90LS400) a while ago with a used unit I found on ebay. The old unit was dead, but I think the lights might be OK. I took it all apart for kicks, just to see if I could find an obvious flaw or break: no luck. I could send you the whole portion you need. No guarantees, but worth a try.

John DeCuir

jadecuir@comcast.net

jadecuir, thanks for the offer but I would like to replace all of the bulbs with new ones in order to try and avoid more bulbs going out if I only replace the burned out ones. Thanks but I really want to find these bulbs new.