How Does Cd Work?

jadecuir

Here's the background: 1990 LS400, Pioneer stereo, with cassette, no CD buttons on radio. CD player in trunk- Pioneer MX70, 6 disc. When we bought the car a couple years ago, we didn't know it was there. Fiddling around in the trunk, I discovered the player. It was not plugged in. It is now. I bought a cartridge, loaded a disc, and it powered up. There is a control pad in the center console. The LED on the control pad shows the disc is turning, and the time is advancing. No CD music is coming thru the stereo. I can't select CD no-how (no button on radio). Do I have the wrong radio? If I push both FM buttons at the same time then let go, I see a CD icon on the radio's LED momentarily. Either I have the wrong radio, or there is some trick to select CD, or what?

John

jadecuir@comcast.net

Is it an RF cd changer?  If so you can listen to it from your radio's FM station.

I don't know if it is an "RF" changer. It's OEM installation of Pioneer CDX-M70. I installed a used replacement radio about a year ago, and I noticed another connector behind the radio that was disconnected. It looked like an antenna coax. I left it unplugged, as I wasn't sure what it was for. It didn't seem to connect to the radio anywhere, and AM/FM works fine. I think I'll connect it and see what happens.

John

That diagram fairly matches what I have. My radio has no "C" socket for CD, nor is there a loose plug laying around. I connected the loose antenna coax together; no difference. Maybe it's not an OEM/factory installation, but it sure looks like it. Maybe I'll take it to the local dealer next week, see if they can tell me how the dang thing is supposed to work. If it is an "RF" unit, do you have to tune in a certain freq, or odes the signal override the radio?

John

Your current radio is not CD capable. How many owners does this vehicle have prior to your ownership? Somebody could have installed an aftermarket stereo system a long time ago, then the next owner prefer the factory look, and restored it with a wrong type of head unit, the one that's not CD changer capable. If it's an RF changer, there should be a sticker that specify which station is on. Or, there is a dial that you can set to the specific station.

Your current radio is not CD capable.  How many owners does this vehicle have prior to your ownership?  Somebody could have installed an aftermarket stereo system a long time ago, then the next owner prefer the factory look, and restored it with a wrong type of head unit, the one that's not CD changer capable.  If it's an RF changer, there should be a sticker that specify which station is on.  Or, there is a dial that you can set to the specific station.

Thanks. I'll look around the unit for a sticker, or scan thru the FM band. I'll check with the previous owner, too. He's a salesman @ the local Lexus dealer.

• 4 weeks later...
If it is an RF unit, then normally you tune to 88.7, 88.3, or 87.9, or another low channel like that.

It's worth a shot.

Tom

I found the problem. I pulled the radio, plugged the free rca connector in line to antenna and radio. On 88.1, when I turn on the CD, the radio goes silent until cd tracks. Unfortunately the CD player won't track now, for more than a minute or two, and sounds all skippy. I tried a dry cleaner -disc, same problem. Remote screen says ERR. I was wondering if a Pioneer CDX-M50 or 55 series is compatible with the harness/remote in my car. There are a few on ebay. Anyone know about exchangability with M-series Pioneer CD's?