92 Ls400 Rattling Noise

INDEFACE

Ever since I bought my 92' LS400 there has been a rattling noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side door area. Aside from this my car is perfect. I have enjoyed it for 2 years already and would love to fix this issue. I am not sure the exact origin of the noise and for the life of me I cannot figure it out. It does not make noise then the car is standing. It only rattles when the car is moving. I am thinking that something may be loose and the wind causes it to vibrate. I have tried to figure it out with no success. Can anyone help me??

This sounds like it might be the strut bushing (or radial arm bushing, I'm not sure) problem. Once the bushing is worn to a point, bumps in the road cause a clunking noise that comes from the passenger (and/or driver) wheel well. Is it a higher-frequency rattling noise, or is it more along the lines of a periodic "clunk"?

This sounds like it might be the strut bushing (or radial arm bushing, I'm not sure) problem.  Once the bushing is worn to a point, bumps in the road cause a clunking noise that comes from the passenger (and/or driver) wheel well.  Is it a higher-frequency rattling noise, or is it more along the lines of a periodic "clunk"?

If your noise is coming from inside the cabin, it could be your passenger side window. I had the same problem with my driver's side window. Try to lower the passenger side window about half way, then close it tightly (keep holding the switch for 2 more seconds after it closes). When it's closed, tap on the switch just for an instant, so the window will lower just by a hair, but is still closed. The sound should stop, at least it did for me. It's worth a try and it won't cost you a penny. :rolleyes:

My 1990 also did this with the front passenger window. Unless it was placed all the way up, or all the way down, it would make an awful rattling sound when driving over rough pavements.

This sounds like it might be the strut bushing (or radial arm bushing, I'm not sure) problem.  Once the bushing is worn to a point, bumps in the road cause a clunking noise that comes from the passenger (and/or driver) wheel well.  Is it a higher-frequency rattling noise, or is it more along the lines of a periodic "clunk"?

If your noise is coming from inside the cabin, it could be your passenger side window. I had the same problem with my driver's side window. Try to lower the passenger side window about half way, then close it tightly (keep holding the switch for 2 more seconds after it closes). When it's closed, tap on the switch just for an instant, so the window will lower just by a hair, but is still closed. The sound should stop, at least it did for me. It's worth a try and it won't cost you a penny. :rolleyes: