Turn Signals Blinking Too Fast?

CUMan

For a long time, my wife's 94 ES has had the problem of the turn signals blinking faster than they should. The left one started doing it about two years ago, and the right one started about six months ago.

I read about other folks having this problem on this forum. So, a few months ago, I removed the headlight assemblies and replaced both bulbs (even though the old bulbs were still burning). This didn't help the problem.

Today I tried again and was able to fix both sides. However, the fix was slightly different on the two sides.

On the right side, I removed the bulb holder and removed the bulb. I cleaned the contact points on the bulb with a nail file, and cleaned the three contact points in the bulb holder. I then bent the contact points out where there was more pressure on the bulb contact points. I reinstalled the bulb, turned on the ignition, and checked the turn signal. It worked perfectly - no fast blinking.

This didn't work on the left side. I cleaned everything up, bent the contact points, and tried a new bulb. Nothing helped. I then noticed that there are three contact points on the perimeter of the bulb holder. They are approximately 90 degrees apart. These are the connection points which bring the power from the car's electrical system to the bulb holder. I cleaned these three points with my nail file, reinserted the bulb holder, and turned on the ignition. At last, the left turn signal blinked perfectly.

Hope this helps other folks having this problem.

For a long time, my wife's 94 ES has had the problem of the turn signals blinking faster than they should.  The left one started doing it about two years ago, and the right one started about six months ago.

I read about other folks having this problem on this forum.  So, a few months ago, I removed the headlight assemblies and replaced both bulbs (even though the old bulbs were still burning).  This didn't help the problem.

Today I tried again and was able to fix both sides.  However, the fix was slightly different on the two sides. 

On the right side, I removed the bulb holder and removed the bulb.  I cleaned the contact points on the bulb with a nail file, and cleaned the three contact points in the bulb holder.  I then bent the contact points out where there was more pressure on the bulb contact points.  I reinstalled the bulb, turned on the ignition, and checked the turn signal.  It worked perfectly - no fast blinking.

This didn't work on the left side.  I cleaned everything up, bent the contact points, and tried a new bulb.  Nothing helped.  I then noticed that there are three contact points on the perimeter of the bulb holder.  They are approximately 90 degrees apart.  These are the connection points which bring the power from the car's electrical system to the bulb holder.  I cleaned these three points with my nail file, reinserted the bulb holder, and turned on the ignition.  At last, the left turn signal blinked perfectly.

you went 2 years with no signal???

For a long time, my wife's 94 ES has had the problem of the turn signals blinking faster than they should.  The left one started doing it about two years ago, and the right one started about six months ago.

I read about other folks having this problem on this forum.  So, a few months ago, I removed the headlight assemblies and replaced both bulbs (even though the old bulbs were still burning).  This didn't help the problem.

Today I tried again and was able to fix both sides.  However, the fix was slightly different on the two sides. 

On the right side, I removed the bulb holder and removed the bulb.  I cleaned the contact points on the bulb with a nail file, and cleaned the three contact points in the bulb holder.  I then bent the contact points out where there was more pressure on the bulb contact points.  I reinstalled the bulb, turned on the ignition, and checked the turn signal.  It worked perfectly - no fast blinking.

This didn't work on the left side.  I cleaned everything up, bent the contact points, and tried a new bulb.  Nothing helped.  I then noticed that there are three contact points on the perimeter of the bulb holder.  They are approximately 90 degrees apart.  These are the connection points which bring the power from the car's electrical system to the bulb holder.  I cleaned these three points with my nail file, reinserted the bulb holder, and turned on the ignition.  At last, the left turn signal blinked perfectly.

you went 2 years with no signal???

No. The turn signals worked; however, they flashed at a higher speed than they should have. This higher blink rate happens when bulbs are burned out. However, these bulbs were not burned out.