Almost Mute Sound System

kyle0k

ok,i was driving with my dad and i turned off the music . An hour after we got home i took out the car power on the stero and i cant hear anything! No static nothing! i turn the volume fully up and i can HARDLY hear the music. and this is with cd's raio and everything. I know its not the speakers b\c they all play if u put ure ear to them on highest volume.

What can this be!?!?!?!?!1

i ahve a 1996 lexus es300

I would check the amplifier connections...they are either very loose, or the amplifier may be broken...use a multimeter to see what the wattage is into the amp, and then out of the amp. this will tell you if it is your source unit or the amp. i am not sure what the wattage is supposed to be for the system as i just got my first lexus, but that is about all i can help u with..hope that helps.

I would check the amplifier connections...they are either very loose, or the amplifier may be broken...use a multimeter to see what the wattage is into the amp, and then out of the amp.  this will tell you if it is your source unit or the amp. i am not sure what the wattage is supposed to be for the system as i just got my first lexus, but that is about all i can help u with..hope that helps.

Sounds like the radio is OK and he has a problem with the amp. It would be nice if he simply has a loose connection.

Unfortunately, if it is the amp, that's almost as bad as the radio. Even if there's a line out which would allow him to connect to a new external amp, Lexus speakers are odd impedance and he'll have to be careful to get an amp that works with the speakers - and an installer who knows what he's doing.

yea i guess ill have to check the amp. but i just dont see how it can break. i dont play the music past the middle, ad it cant overheat in winter weather,lol.

maybe b\c of the coldness one of the wores went bad or something,i guess ill have to check it out.

the amp is under the passengers seat....right....

ok an update. yesterday i turn on my car, and everythign works PERFECTLY fine! plays normally! then later that day after going into a store for about 15 minutes i come back to my car,start it. and again i cant hear anything unless i turn it up all the way.

what could this be??! i mean if the amp broke it wouldnt be turning back on all of a sudden.

Sound like you amp is on the way out. One of the solder joints of the transistors that supply the rail voltage would do something like that.

Can you get to the amp. If you could I would see about opening it and then reconnecting it. When it is not working taking some caned air turning it up side down and spraying the parts. this will cool them and the amp may start working again. if it does then you would be sure that it is the amp. Then start looking on ebay for a used one.

You do not have to play music loud to fry an amp. Electronic equipment that generates heat like that can fail for no reason. Normal manufacturing defects in electronic parts.

oh ok gatchya. yea it started working out of no where again.

what i was wondering is i have another amp that was laying around and its not like a subwoofer amp its a speaker amp,will it do. its a :

rockwood detanator.

MOSFET CLASS "A" CIRCUIT 0.05

power output 50WX2 (2 channel)

model no amp225

HIGH POWER 100 watts car amplifier

ok thats what it says what do u guys think??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sory cant help you,im here to confirm that it again started wokring lik a day after and hast gave me a problem yet. it must of been some wiring froze or something from the coldness. Everything works great again.