Buying A Used Lx 470

jakeroux

Currently own a 92 LS and considering the purchase of a 99 LX with app 90K miles, but trying to do a little homework on it first. Looking through the forum, it appears that the electronic supsension has the potential for much trouble and repair $ - is that true? If so, are there any early warning signs of suspension failure to look for before buying? Also, since that is a a feature not found on Landcruisers, is there any reason to take on this risk with a Lexus as opposed to just sticking with the Landcruiser (other than the Lexus name)? I know the displays on the 92 LS are prone to failure over time, have there been any similar problems appear with the electronic dispays on the LX yet? How about the A/C, have there been many probelems with the system on the LX? I've also replaced the Idle Speed Control Valve and need to replace the Traction Control Accumulator on the LS - any problems with those on the 99 LX yet?

The one I'm considering is a good looking truck and in great shape, but I don't want the repair bills to match the purchase price over the first few years.

Thanks in advance.

Currently own a 92 LS and considering the purchase of a 99 LX with app 90K miles, but trying to do a little homework on it first. Looking through the forum, it appears that the electronic supsension has the potential for much trouble and repair $ - is that true? If so, are there any early warning signs of suspension failure to look for before buying? Also, since that is a a feature not found on Landcruisers, is there any reason to take on this risk with a Lexus as opposed to just sticking with the Landcruiser (other than the Lexus name)? I know the displays on the 92 LS are prone to failure over time, have there been any similar problems appear with the electronic dispays on the LX yet? How about the A/C, have there been many probelems with the system on the LX? I've also replaced the Idle Speed Control Valve and need to replace the Traction Control Accumulator on the LS - any problems with those on the 99 LX yet?

The one I'm considering is a good looking truck and in great shape, but I don't want the repair bills to match the purchase price over the first few years.

Thanks in advance.

If the AHC (automatic height control) eventually fails, you could replace the hydraulic shocks w/ high quality third party ones (Old Man Emu or Bilstein) and ditch the AHC altogether. Keep in mind that the LX torsion bars/springs are softer than the LC's, so you might want to change to stock LC t-bars/springs. That's the cheaper and most reliable way around the AHC. In the end, you'd basically have a LC w/ the creature comforts of the LX. LC 100's in Japan are all available w/ the AHC except the bottom-end VX model. There's one guy (Christo Slee at Slee Offroad) who seriously wheels a LX, modified his w/ 35" tires, tweaked the AHC so it's always in the high position. Oh, yeah, the 2000+ have 4-pinion front diffs (stronger than the 2-pinion diffs), but I've also heard some problems w/ the 2000's tranny. Try ih8mud.com for more info on LC100's. LC 100 has more options for modifications for stuff like bumpers/bulllbars (over the LX). The stuff under the hood is the same. Some Toyota dealers will also work on LX's (the ones in Seattle would), while others refuse to.

Thanks for the info, Jim. Good to know that that there are "workarounds" if the electronic suspension suffers major failure. Since my offroading will most likely be limited to the occasional gravel parking lot, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that everything holds up for a good long while through normal driving. I did purchase the truck yesterday, so thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for the info, Jim. Good to know that that there are "workarounds" if the electronic suspension suffers major failure. Since my offroading will most likely be limited to the occasional gravel parking lot, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that everything holds up for a good long while through normal driving. I did purchase the truck yesterday, so thanks again for the advice.

From what Christo Slee says, the LX's suspension is such that if the AHC is in the "low" mode, the vehicle is fully resting on its rear coil springs and front torsion bars, which are softer than the ones on the stock LC. So when you engage the AHC, the vehicle's weight rests on the hydraulic shocks. That's why Toyota doesn't recommend people to install ARB winchbars w/ heavy 12K lb winches on their LC's if equipped w/ AHC (one guy in Kuwait recently had to grapple w/ this problem from his posts on ih8mud.com), as the winchbar weighs about 100 lbs and the winch another 120 lbs. The only electronic mod on the LX I can think of where you might have to ground or leave a wire floating is the vehicle automatically puts AHC into high when you put the transfer case into "low" mode. If you can get a hold of the electrnoics manual and examine the wires connected to the AHC ECU, I think one shoiuld be able to disconnect the proper wire so the AHC operates completely indepently of the transfer case.

Oh, BTW, the 2000 LC's (and I think the LX) have a 4-pinion front diff to replace the two pinion front diffs in the '98-99's. The 4-pinion diff is much stronger when under load (namely when climbing in 4wd low offroad), as some 2-pinion diffs have blown apart in reports from guys in Oz. OTOH, I've heard rumors that the 2000 LX470 may have had some tranny problems. Check on ih8mud.com under the LC100s.