Subwoofer, Repair Or Replace?

AzHotLS

My subwoofer works (sort of) but has a rattling sound. I removed it and found the cone is separating from the foam at the top. Can that be repaired or do I have to replace it.

I saw the tutorial at the lexls site, but wanted to get some opinions.

It would seem like you could pick up a used sub fairly inexpensively. Based on my experience trying to get a new system for my car, it might be hard to find an aftermarket replacement. I was told (and verified myself) that each of the speakers are individually amplified. To replace one buzzing speaker on the passenger door, I would need to replace/rewire the whole system and fabricate moulding for the new system.

Of course, I have a 1991 LS 400, so it might be a different issue if you have a newer model. I don't know how they are set up.

I had the same problem with mine and picked up an 8" sub "open box" deal at the local stereo place for around $50. I just had to drill a couple of new holes and used large head sheet metal screws to mount it in the hole. Took about 45 mins and sounds much better than stock. I have a '91 LS...

Bob

P.S. - You'll have to cutoff the old connector and either solder or use butt connectors.

I have a 91 LS400 whose rear sub was completely shot out when I purchased it. I opted for a 10" Kicker subwoofer replacement. I don't remember how much I paid for it but it wasn't very expensive. It fits nice and snug in that little space in the rear deck and makes the entire system sound like new :)

Lexus400 - Really? You can just swap in with new connectors? Fantastic - I didn't think that it would work, given the that amp and speaker are paired (and are the in the same unit in the doors). My fiancee has complained about the stereo's low-end punch, I'll have to go pick up an open box special somewhere.

Thanks!

Just to be sure... we're talking about the sub in the center of the rear deck right ?

You mentioned the door speakers too ? Anyway, yes all you need to do is cutoff the old connector and get the wire connected to the new sub in some way (solder, butt connector, spade plug, etc.).

Bob

Yes, sorry - I was talking about the rear sub. I visually inspected the door speakers and then consulted the wiring diagram for the stereo system to get an idea as to whether or not the sub was similar to the door speakers. Assumed incorrectly, it looks like.