Brake Pad Rattle

bowtie3

What can I do to eliminate the brake pads from rattling [ when changing direction ] on my 2000 RX 300? I replaced them with some premium pads a few months ago and used a " pad adhesive ", but now they're starting to do it again. Before replacing the original pads [ which did the same thing ] I asked the sevice advisor about it and was told that it was a common problem, even when the dealer replaced pads. Is there a cure for this annoyance?

What can I do to eliminate the brake pads from rattling [ when changing direction ]  on my 2000 RX 300?  I replaced them with some premium pads a few months ago and used a " pad adhesive ", but now they're starting to do it again.  Before replacing the original pads [ which did the same thing ] I asked the sevice advisor about it and was told that it was a common problem, even when the dealer replaced pads. Is there a cure for this annoyance?

When you removed your original pads were there 2 shims on the back of each pad and did you replace them both when using the premium pads. I now have 72k on my 01 and have never had the rattle. I just changed the pads a couple of weeks ago and used oem pads and re-used the shims. The shims get cleaned and coated with brake grease. You should not need anti-squeel adhesive. It is only temporary anyway. I looked at aftermarket pads but figured the oem pads are quiet and you couldn't ask for a better wearing pad.

I keep reading about brake pad shims when replacing the pads on my wife's 2000 RX 300. When replacing the ORIGINAL pads a few months ago [ 48,000 miles ] I noticed that there were NO shims with the original pads. Where can I get the CORRECT shims for this car so I can eliminate this very annoying pad rattle when changing directions or turning into the driveway? Why are they necessary on the RX and not most other vehicles?

I keep reading about brake pad shims when replacing the pads on my wife's 2000 RX 300.  When replacing the ORIGINAL pads a few months ago [ 48,000 miles ] I noticed that there were NO shims with the original pads.  Where can I get the CORRECT shims for this car so I can eliminate this very annoying pad rattle when changing directions or turning into the driveway?  Why are they necessary on the RX and not most other vehicles?

All info I am giving you is based on my 01. I am sure it is the same for your 00, but maybe someone who has done the brakes on a 00 can confirm. The back of each pad should have have 2 thin shims on it. One is black and the other is silver (looks like stainless). If you wern't looking for them you may have discarded them with the old pads. The back of the pad gets coated with brake grease when new. Over time it collects dirt and the shims kind of blend in with the pad. I don't think the shims are that unusual. Most disc brake jobs I have done used shims. As far as where to get them. You could try irontoad.com or newlexusparts.com. Neither site lists them but you could send an e-mail and request a quote (or call). I don't think it is a very common part because most people just reuse them. You could also go to the parts dept of your dealer. Make sure you stop at the ATM first. After all, it is a Lexus dealer.

I second what Mikey says....Just changed the pads on the wife's 2000RX and the black and silver shims on all four wheels were there exactly as Mikey says. I reused the shims with OEM pads from Irontoad. FYI...didn't have any 'pad rattle' before and none after so far.

Lee