2001 Es300 Cpo 22k Miles...maintenance?

nicksan

Hello,

With most of my nightmare problems gone, now I can concentrate on pampering my ES with some maintenance.

As you know by now, I got the 2001 ES as a CPO from Lexus Massapequa.

Despite the lack of maintenance record (they didn't give me even when I asked...so I gave up on getting them) I took a risk and purchased it 5 or 6 months ago.

I'd like to start thinking about doing some maintenance on it.

So with the total lack of knowledge of what kind of maintenance it was done by the prior owner or the dealer, what do you guys recommend I get done?

I am going to get Toyo Proxes TPT tires to replace the original issue Bridgestones. Perhaps next week.

I have a $300 Lexus coupon that I can bring anywhere. I can use that for anything, including Service. Corporate Lexus gave me this coupon for all my troubles, as a good faith measure, and it is much appreciated.

So...

-Oil Change (probably a good idea)

-Is there anything they can do to check for engine sludge?

-Tranny fluid?

-Brakes? (Pads, brake fluid, brakes feel VERY soft)

-Coolant System?

-Suspension?

-Various filters (air filter, cabin filter, etc?)

-Exaust System?

-any other fluids?

Any recommendations?

Like "If I was in your situation, I would get the following done..." type of answer?

Thanks People!

Nick

Since the ES only has 22K miles (congrats on getting a low mileage vehicle BTW!), I would only concentrate on getting fluids replaced, such as engine oil, coolant, brake, transmission and differential. Top off the windshield wiper fluid if possible. No need to look into the suspension at this time since it hasn't been driven long enough. You can ask to have the air filter checked out, or you could do it yourself by popping open the filter box cover and inspecting the filter from the other side. If you don't feel any nuances in the climate control system, then you don't need to have the cabin filter replaced. Finally, you mention that the brakes feel soft, so it may be a good idea to have the brake pads checked out and see if they're worn down enough to warrant replacement.

Hope this info helps out, coming from one '01 ES owner to another. Good luck :)

Did you receive an owners/maintenance manual with the car? It should be stamped by Lexus if any scheduled service was done on it. Also, have you tried going to a different Lexus dealership and have them print out a list of all services done at any Lexus dealerships (if any)? Tehy shouldnt have any problem doing this if there's any record.

You can start out fresh by having the fluids changed: transmission fluid (pan dropped&filter cleaned), coolant fluid, oil&filter, spark plugs&wires, air filter as mentioned, maybe PCV valve, topping out other fluids like power stearing, brake & windshield wash as mentioned. A Motorvac/fuel injection cleaning (including the throttle body) is also good. I believe all of this can be done approx. $300 at an independant shop you can trust.

Have the brakes and suspension checked when you install the new tires.

Don't forget the interior and exterior of your car: wash, clay, clean, polish & wax

Is there an expiration date for the $300 Lexus coupon? If not, I would save that nice meal ticket until time for timing belt&water pump change (90k service).

Good Luck & enjoy the ride!

You would figure that the Lexus CPO program would assure that customers are getting their vehicles with all the neccessary maintenance done...maybe except tires/brakes...I think they have rules on remaining tread life, allowable brake wear, etc.

But being that Lexus of Massapequa is such a sh*tty dealer, I can't really trust them, so I feel I should go through all the maintenance myself...maybe go to Bay Ridge Lexus, or an independent shop, as you mentioned.

With all that has happened at Massapequa, and what it took to get them to fix some of the things on my car, it's truly disgusting how some of them operate.

Shame on them.

Thanks for the very useful information!

nicksan, I feel I should pass along this info since you seem to live near the NYC/LI area. All of the dealerships in that cluster (i.e. Manhattan, Bay Ridge, Massapequa) have gotten poor reviews from their customers in BOTH the sales and service depts. Many horror stories developed from them, and as a result, some of them opted to go to a trustworthy independent service shop, or to a Toyota dealership. However for your case, if you go to a non-Lexus facility to get your car checked up, your $300 discount coupon will obviously be invalid :(

Yeah, MY s*ckes when it comes to getting any kind of service don't it?

Been living here for over 25 years, and it's sickening...everything's scam.

I have an Acura MDX, and I feel that Rallye, although they are expensive, do good work. I don't know if it is the same with their Lexus section.

I can always take it the an indie...and figure out how to use the $300 at Lexus...

I heard from several people in this forum that Bay Ridge is OK. Perhaps I'll try there.

nicksan,

Have you tried to contact Lexus USA corperate head quarters eith by e-mail or phone? Perhaps they will be able to shed some more light on things for you after explaining things & VIN number. I'm just thinking that if its a 'Lexus Cpo', they have to have something on their records.....wouldn't they?? :blink:

Here is the link to get in touch with Lexus:

http://www.lexus.com/home/contact_lexus.html

:cheers:

I asked Lexus of Massapequa, both the CPO sales and Service dept. if they could get me the service records, and they really didn't make the effort to accomodate me.

Their answer was, "Whatever was in the glove compartment".

I guess in retrospect I should not have done business with these guys, but I really liked the car so I bought it.

They don't really bend over backwards to help me out.

It is possible that the previous owners didn't go to Lexus for maintenance.

So I guess I will never know, which is the reason why I want to start fresh and do the maintenance now, at 22k miles...

I asked Lexus of Massapequa, both the CPO sales and Service dept. if they could get me the service records, and they really didn't make the effort to accomodate me.

Their answer was, "Whatever was in the glove compartment".

I guess in retrospect I should not have done business with these guys, but I really liked the car so I bought it.

They don't really bend over backwards to help me out.

It is possible that the previous owners didn't go to Lexus for maintenance.

So I guess I will never know, which is the reason why I want to start fresh and do the maintenance now, at 22k miles...

It dosen't even sound like they bent over period......never mind backwards. My Father just had a similar experence with a GM dealer when he bought his 2002 Buick Century CPO.....I basicly tore a strip of the sales guy as there was no proof of the program. Happy to say that it arrived in the mail & my dad has about $1000 worth of work done (at GM's expense)......all this should have been provided upon delivery.

nicksan.....some dealers are just plain lazy. If I were you, I'd call Lexus U.S. head office on their toll free number (I gave you the link on my last post). Explain everything to them (they are usually VERY helpful & it will restore your faith in Lexus even if the dealer wasen't much help). Provide them with the VIN number & make sure they have all your information on file in case of a TSB or recall in the future. If it was a CPO vehicle.......chances are it had to be serviced at a Lexus dealer & Lexus Head office will have all that information on their computer to answer all your questions once & for all. B) Keep us posted & good luck!

LexusFreak,

I called HQ up.

They said they cannot disclose that information.

I asked them "Why not? I own the vehicle correct?"

They said it's not their policy to give out records at the "national level".

So they told me to go to another dealership and try to get them to get the records.

I asked them about the CPO and the maintenance records requirements. They told me there is no requirement that the vehicle come with maintenance records. If the vehicle passes their stupid 106 (or whatever it is) point inspection then it's eligible for CPO.

So I asked them, "So even though there are absolutely NO records, and there is a chance that the car at 22k miles went through 1 oil change for argument's sake, it would be eligible?"

He said "That's correct sir".

So I'm kind of shocked at that discovery...I'm sure you guys will be too.

In fact, the CPO car could have been used and abused...with no oil change...in total neglect, but if it passes inspection, then it's tagged a CPO...and that is if , a BIG IF, they actually check anything. I have a sneaking suspicion that a dealer like Massapequa won't be too honest with stuff like that.

Man...that is disturbing.

Look's like I'll have to pay another dealer a visit and see if they can pull anything up.

LexusFreak,

I called HQ up.

So they told me to go to another dealership and try to get them to get the records.

I asked them about the CPO and the maintenance records requirements. They told me there is no requirement that the vehicle come with maintenance records. If the vehicle passes their stupid 106 (or whatever it is) point inspection then it's eligible for CPO.

So I asked them, "So even though there are absolutely NO records, and there is a chance that the car at 22k miles went through 1 oil change for argument's sake, it would be eligible?"

In fact, the CPO car could have been used and abused...with no oil change...in total neglect, but if it passes inspection, then it's tagged a CPO...and that is if , a BIG IF, they actually check anything. I have a sneaking suspicion that a dealer like Massapequa won't be too honest with stuff like that.

Look's like I'll have to pay another dealer a visit and see if they can pull anything up.

That is highly disturbing to hear. I won't look at a CPO the same again. It seems like Lexus HQ has no real control over what the dealership does and doesn't do. I definitely would abandon all business with Massapequa asap.

LexusFreak,

I called HQ up.

That's very disappointing nicksan........Lexus Canada does not operate that way for their CPO program at all, in fact they even replaced the 'B' pilliar mouldings & the drivers side heated mirror element in addition to making sure all service & maintenance was up to date.....all billed to Lexus Canada! :blink:

It's not like you asked for the previous owners name, address & shoe size here, you just wanted to know if all service & maintenance was performed in a timely manner.....a simple yes or no answer. :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way.....you keep all paper work that proves that your ES is in fact a Lexus CPO vehicle......and maintain it according to the owners manual. Should you have any problems let's say with engine gelling......Lexus will have to replace & install a new engine at their expense.....not yours. I suspect you are OK however. If you haven't done so already, I would switch to synthetic oil from now on when doing oil changes. B) I hope you have trouble free service out of your ES, especially considering the low mileage.

Don't forget to register your ES online on www.lexus.com so they have the record of you & your ES.

nick

see pam or sheila at rallye. they are great. or ask for andrew the service manager. he is the one who turned me on to this board. they are great. im sure they can get you info. or if you e-mail me i will give you the name of a manager in sales that should be of help.i have a cpo ls from them with all records{ it was serviced at another dealer previously} i service there for for over 5 years and i live 3 minutes from massapequa. hopefully they can make this experience better.

Thanks.

When I was shopping the the ES, I was considering Rallye, because they have this image of being professional (helps that they are located where they are located...) but they didn't have a CPO in stock at that time.

I went to used car dealers in Jersey, etc...pretty much all over the place and didn't see what I liked it terms of color and looks.

I stopped by Lexus of Massapequa b/c I knew from the past there was one on Sunrise Highway.

I saw my ES there...it was in my favorite color, it was in great condition...well at least the inside (outside...well see my other crazy long thread!) and I test drove it and felt it drove well.

I gave my trust to Lexus and its CPO program...and obviously things haven't really worked out.

I'm trying to get corporate to give me allowance to take it to another dealership and have it go through their CPO inspection...b/c I really feel that Massapequa just did an oil change (if at all!) and slapped that certified sticker on it!

Thanks.

When I was shopping the the ES, I was considering Rallye, because they have this image of being professional (helps that they are located where they are located...) but they didn't have a CPO in stock at that time.

I went to used car dealers in Jersey, etc...pretty much all over the place and didn't see what I liked it terms of color and looks.

I stopped by Lexus of Massapequa b/c I knew from the past there was one on Sunrise Highway.

I saw my ES there...it was in my favorite color, it was in great condition...well at least the inside (outside...well see my other crazy long thread!) and I test drove it and felt it drove well.

I gave my trust to Lexus and its CPO program...and obviously things haven't really worked out.

I'm trying to get corporate to give me allowance to take it to another dealership and have it go through their CPO inspection...b/c I really feel that Massapequa just did an oil change (if at all!) and slapped that certified sticker on it!

Contact the dealer that Unlisted mentioned nick & let us know what the situation is. B) It sounds like this is the dealer that will be able to answer your questions & concerns.