Sylvania Or Me?

SecureCitizen

(1996 LS-400)

Well, I did my research here, regarding the steps needed to replace the low beam headlight bulbs...just to be sure, went to Sylvania's website...and used their 'Lamp Replacement Guide" and printed out the list for every bulb in the car..did it twice just to be sure.

I'd decided on the 9006ST Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade...purchased these and the bulbs for turn signal, parking light, etc.

Dismantled both sides before trying to install the Silverstar...removed the existing low beam-ers and when I tried plugging in the Silverstars, those old familar words came out, "Oh, Sh*t !!"

The Silverstars would not plug in...looking into the plug housing of the Silverstar, I see a raised rib, right in the center (on the bulb side of the inside).

I pick up the old bulb and lo and behold, there are 2 raised ribs...one, each, just either side of the center (again, on the bulb side of the inside)

I look at the connector attached to the wiring harness, and wouldn't you know, there's a center-raised rib. This rib is butting into the one on the Sylvania Silverstar.

Anybody else have this much fun and if so, what do I do??

Thanks in advanced.

your 96 should be like my 95. the low beam is 9003 st and it has 3 prongs sticking from the bulb. the site is wrong and you are messing with the high beams, they have plugs on the end. i too bought the wrong ones because of the site and since the 9006 looked like the high beams on the car, i thought it was the low beam light and could not understand why it wouldn't work. :wacko:

I got it right the first time!! lol I bought H4's for my '95's low beams as per VMF's recommendation which I later found out is what's printed in my owner's manual. I want to upgrade my fog's to PIAA also; I love my low beam Xtreme whites! The difference over stock is amazing-so much whiter and brighter! B)

:cheers:

your 96 should be like my 95. the low beam is 9003 st and it has 3 prongs sticking from the bulb.
Thanks Lovlex...it appears the 9006st can be used as the fog light instead. I removed it and the 9006st fits right in and unless Sylvania's site is wrong about this one too, I'll go ahead and use them for the foglights.

If I can locate a dealer in Nashville, I'll probably use the PIAA brand for the low beams.

Thanks, again.

Bob

I'm not sure about the bulb set up on Gen 2 or 3 cars. On mine I bought the Silverstars and they went right in. The foglights use a different bulb (H3C). Lexls has a way to convert a cheaper H3 bulb to an H3C. After I put in the SIlverstars and took the yellow out of my foglights, I have excellent illumination.