Timing Belt Replacement

Hey guys I am going to have a buddy of mine replace the timing belt in my GS 400 this week. He has his own shop and said he would do it for 300 bucks! Thats not too bad considering Park Place wants 900 ! I'm almost at 100k , and it has never been done, so I know I need to do it ASAP . Anyways I will let you guys know how it goes. I already did the serpentine belt myself and it was a piece of cake. :cheers:

You will feel such a difference when you replace that timing belt. I just replaced mine with the serpentine belt and spark plugs for $700 at the dealer.

I asked them about water pump and they said you dont have to do it. My car has 64,000 miles. They said those things rarely go bad. But with your mileage, i recommend it.

Hello,

The water pump should be replace every 60k if you have not done so already.

If a Toyota / Lexus owner changes the coolant on schedule and always uses the factory original coolant mixture (50% Toyota Long Life Antifreeze + 50% distilled water) the water pump typically lasts 15-25 years or 175,000 - 250,000 miles.

Hmmm ... thats a really long time. Well I figure what the hell , since hes already going to be working under there he will probably give me a really really goood deal on it anyways, and I plan to drive my car for while since I like it so much. I can't wait to start getting some modifications (mostly bolt on) that will push it even faster. I love the borla exhaust that's on there (give a little deep growl) . But I'm thinking about getting adjustable coilovers really soon. I want to stiffen the supension some and lower it about an inch. As well as a strut brace for front and rear to tighten the chassis roll. Have any of you guys done any of these things? One of my favorite things about the car is that you get 80% of the torque at 1800 rpm. It's makes cruising around town at stop lights and what not an unbelievable ease as you can pass everyone without barely hitting the gas.

Happy New Year!!! :cheers: