Vibration In Steering Wheel

njguy99007

I have a 2000 ES300, 28567 miles on it, I have kept up with all maintance on the Vehicle. My dealer does all my maintance, I have just had the 30,000 mile maintance completed, and 4 new tires along with a wheel alignment. I have a Vibration in the steering wheel when the car is in Gear (drive, reverse etc.) This only occurs when it is extremly cold out, I have noticed that when it is below 40 degrees this happnes, above 40 degrees the vibration is very slight but still noticable to me.

The dealer has checked the car and could not find anything, any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks from NJ.....

When you say that it has a vibration in Drive or Reverse, is the car stopped or in motion when this happens? If the car is in motion and it does this, does it do it consistently or does it get worse as you increase your speed? If this happens when you're in motion and increasing your speed, either your tires are out of round and/or they weren't balanced properly. Some tires have a tendency of flat spotting when it's cold and the flat spot disappears as your drive a few miles.

Oh sorry, I just reread your topic. It said that it only happens when the car is stopped. If what you typed is true, then the tires would not be relevant because obviously the car is not moving. In this case, maybe your engine mounts are worn (check the front and top engine mount, the top one looks like a dog bone). If the rubber isolator is cracked or dry looking, then it's time to replace it (the front one may be harder to check). Is your engine idling correctly when you start it up? I believe a normal idle is about 1800rpm to 2000rpms.