New Here

JohnnyK

Just wanted to say thanks for this board. I am a "new" Lexus owner. I just purchased a 1993 LS400, blue with 140,000 miles for $5300.00.

So far it has been a great car, other than the normal stuff, dash lights not coming on until it warms up and the speedometer doing the same thing.

Any advice for me on what I should watch for? Any help on what could be wrong with the speedometer?

Thanks.

Johnny

For a full discussion on the instrument cluster's failure to display, read the thread at the top of the pinned section.

Jim Walker's name is mentioned several times in this discussion, and I highly recommend his services. He repaired the instrument cluster on my 93 LS 400 over a year ago, and I have had no problems with the blank display since that time. Jim is located in Fresno, Ca. and can be reached at jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net.

As for the speedometer needle, there are two problems with this and the other needles, and I don't know which problem you are referring to. First, the needles are prone to go dark starting at the tip. This problem is caused by a conductive backing on the needles deteriorating and breaking apart. This breaks the circuit which illuminates the needle. Jim Walker has a fix for this problem, too.

The second needle problem which is common with the early LS is the failure of one or more of the needles to move off zero when the car is cranked. It appears that the most common needles with this problem are the tachometer and speedometer. The last I heard, Jim Walker or anyone else does not yet have a fix for this problem. However, I think you will find that if you rap sharply on the dash right above the cluster (about halfway between the tachometer and the speedometer), the needles will often jump to their proper positions. This works everytime (so far) with my car. Usually when the needles go to their proper positions, they will work fine for the rest of the day.

The speedometer needle stopped illuminating 1/2 way at then end when I accidentally hit a very large pothole (actually was a deep sunken in manhole cover) on a local freeway entrance highway- which is located between the downtown area and the freeway. I know that the speedometer was working moments before, but it was only after I got onto the freeway that I noticed that the needle was 1/2 way out. I was livid. The large pothole is still there, but I am very careful not to hit that hole. <_<

Thank you for the welcome. It is so great to have this forum. I guess it is good news for me since Jim Walker is in Fresno, thats only a few hours drive for me.

Does anyone know around what it costs to repair the dash lights?

Thanks again.

My repair in November, 2003 cost about $200.00. Included in this was the replacement of the capacitors that caused the non-illumination problem and repairing the tachometer and speedometer needles.