Toyota Pads For Lexus Calipers.

CLightning

Hey gang, I will soon be replacing my brakes and I was told that I can save some money and use Toyota brake pads with my stock setup. If this is true, I will be going this route.

If this true, which Toyota pads fit stock calipers for a 1993 SC300? Even if it fits, will it work properly? Thanks.

No Toyota model is like the SC300 so it's very unlikely a Toyota dealer stocks brake pads that would fit an SC300. Also, Toyota parts usually have different part numbers

so it's difficult for a Toyota dealer to try and match parts with any Lexus. So if you are serious about finding compatible Toyota parts YOU must do the research .

Im sure in some crazy profit making scheme Toyota(the owner of Lexus) would have put the almighty Lexus calipers on some of the lowly Toyota models.

Part # should be 0446524010 for front brake pads on the 93 SC300. According to Hoy Fox web page(www.toyotaandlexusparts.com) the prices are around $4.00 of each other between the toyota and lexus brands. Usually Hoy Fox prices are close to what any reasonable dealer would charge and if you go some place that charges more than that page, i would walk away.

To really save money, go to auto zone and buy the best brake pads they have which are carbon metallic and asbestos free. Just tell them your make and model. Then install them yourself. Take off your tire. The old pads literally pull right out. But worn pads are thin so the new thicker pads wont fit. So, you have to loosen the nut or screw on the caliper slightlyto relieve pressure of the system and get pliers to seperate the caliper from the rotor so you can slip the new pads back in. Brake fluid might squirt out when you do this so be careful and refill it afterwards. Then retighten the screw with 75% of your might. Takes 15 minutes tops per tire as a beginner. Anyone feel free to comment on this if I explained something wrong.

I knew some of you knowledgeable guys would chime in. I'll give it a shot. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry I forgot about the Toyota Supra model and how it may use the same calipers and pads as the SC.

With regard to Autozone pads, Toyota and Lexus warn that using aftermarket pads can cause rapid rotor wear, brake squeeking in humid weather and unsightly brake dust deposits on the wheels.