Antenna Mast '99 Rx 300

douglasmiami

Any advice for an antenna mast that won't retract all the way - the very last segment won't retract. It's supposedly a new antenna replaced by private dealer 9 months ago, and I haven't had any problems since that time, but recently I noticed it was louder than usual and then discovered it wasn't retracting. Could this be fixed easily, or would I need to replace? I've seen other posts, but I've only seen lubrication suggestions (white grease to lubricate).

I have a '99 RX 300.

When I had a similar problem on my beloved Datsun 260Z's antenna back in the late 1970s, greasing the antenna very lightly solved the problem. Do this before you try anything else - it's a no-cost fix if it works for you, and I'll bet it will.

Man, how I miss that Z.... It was my first new car, and I kept it for 13 years and almost 300,000 miles before I finally sold it to the kid of a friend of mine who'd been begging me to sell it for about three years. My Z would have turned 30 years old this month....

Any decent auto parts store such as NAPA and probably even Wal-Mart's automotive section carries tubes of white lithium grease. It's been around forever, and it's an inexpensive and effective all-purpose lubricant for exposed metal parts that contact each other while moving. I use it primarily on our vehicle's door, hatch, hood, and tailgate hinges. It's also the best lube I've found for the tracks and rollers of my automatic garage door mechanism. Keep in mind that a little bit of grease goes a long way on any lube job you do with it. I'll bet that I purchased my current tube in the early 1980s and I still have about a quarter of a tube left. How's that for cost-effectiveness?