93 Gs 300 Transmission

Im wondering if I should change the transmission fluid. When I accelerate and at any time let off the gas the car will kind of shudder forward slightly two times. I am definetly no car expert but could that be the transmittion trying to disengage and its catching once or twice while its tring to pull out. The car has 240k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been replaced. Can anybody recommend a transmission fluid to use? Do i need to replace the fluid?

I've replaced the tranny fluid and a whole bunch of other things on my car (91 LS400). Yeah, you could say that it's like an oil change. I'm not positive if your vehicle is the same because I've never worked on a GS before (maybe someone can confirm this) but you could take a look at this tutorial I posted for my LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14728. You could also go with the pan drain and fill method (very much like an oil change) but with 200k+ on original fluid I'd suggest getting a full flush.

If you're in doubt just take it to an independant shop to have them power flush your tranny...just make sure you bring in your own transmission fluid (T-IV).

If you take a look at the manual you'll see 5w-30 for oil and probally T-II or T-IV (depending on the year of the vehicle) for transmissions. With motor oil they aren't specific on which brand to use but rather which weight to use...as for the tranny fluid they do recommend using only Toyota ATF. What I'm trying to say is it's important to stick with the tranny fluid from Toyota because if it didn't matter then why would they be so specific? Amsoil does recommend using their ATF's for applications where T-IV is required. FYI- T-IV is a suitable replacement for T-II tranny fluid. Hope this helps.

I've replaced the tranny fluid and a whole bunch of other things on my car (91 LS400). Yeah, you could say that it's like an oil change. I'm not positive if your vehicle is the same because I've never worked on a GS before (maybe someone can confirm this) but you could take a look at this tutorial I posted for my LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14728. You could also go with the pan drain and fill method (very much like an oil change) but with 200k+ on original fluid I'd suggest getting a full flush.

If you're in doubt just take it to an independant shop to have them power flush your tranny...just make sure you bring in your own transmission fluid (T-IV).

If you take a look at the manual you'll see 5w-30 for oil and probally T-II or T-IV (depending on the year of the vehicle) for transmissions. With motor oil they aren't specific on which brand to use but rather which weight to use...as for the tranny fluid they do recommend using only Toyota ATF. What I'm trying to say is it's important to stick with the tranny fluid from Toyota because if it didn't matter then why would they be so specific? Amsoil does recommend using their ATF's for applications where T-IV is required. FYI- T-IV is a suitable replacement for T-II tranny fluid. Hope this helps.

Exactly, go with the flush and change the filter or have them drop the tranny pan and clean off any debris. :D :cheers:

All good info guys thanks. This car is actually from my cousin. He took it in for a full service oil change at the lexus dealership a last thursday. It looks like the air filter was recommended replaced but he noted the transmission as checked. Could it be that the transmission fluid is still fine after 240k? Also Ive been searching google about tranny flush and they said to make sure that the tranny is not flushed with their machine and that the pan be removed and the filter replaced manually. Also I need to do a little body work on the hood (the window wasnt installed correctly and some water has gotten in there which has caused some rust. Is there any way to get the color of the paint of the car from the dealership? On one of the repair bills the color is noted as black/ivory this is coming from an lexas dealer. Not really sure how I can get a sample to match.