80k Mile Service On An Gs430

Make sure the timing belt has been or gets changed its due.Also They should check out the water pump and replace if needed.Then I think its at 80k it cloud be 90k that theyll try to charge you for a bunch of over priced fluid changes.Get them done just dont pay too much I think they wanted 900 for mine so I did them myself.And of course alot of little stuff check the brakes,alignment,balance.Do you have the owners manual.

;) Yep, there is a manual, expect to pay a minimum of $120 for both books. They are about 4 inches thick each, so it's worth it. HOYFOX has the best prices I've seen. You will also need to change the belt and belt tensioner in addition to all that new big400 mentioned. You could do cam seals as well. Oil and air filter, clean the throttle body. Slow starting could be the battery /cables/connectors this time of year or the starter. Good luck, flush the tranny as well, power steering. <_<

It's cranking fine, just takes a little long to start. I'm used to GM optispark, a piece of junk, but very fast starting, maybe I'm overreacting, The car is only 30 months old and has 70K miles, I figure everything is original. Here's what I was thinking for a 70K mile tune up:

sparkplugs (denso iridiums?)

O2 sensors (Stock denso; does the GS430 have 4 sensors or 2?)

K&N air filter

flush brakes (ATE super Blue)

power steering (valvoline synth)

trans (mobil 1 ATF)

rear diff (mobil 1 GL5 75W-90)

engine coolant (what kind?)

fuel filter (Denso?)

anything else?

what do you think about the tune-up parts selection?

O2 sensors - 4

Fuel filter - Denso

ATF - Amsoil or T-IV

Coolant - Toyota

For spark plugs go to Rockauto.com, I paid $6 a piece for NGK laser iridiums.

Park Place Lexus has free shipping and no tax on internet orders.

Whats the diff between the ngk iridiums.Ive seen alot of diff. ngk iridiums offered Ive been looking at the ngk irid. 4's How do these rank and is one ngk irid. better than another?Also vette boy did i read that was a 96 lt-4 ?My roomate had one he sold recently and it was an incredible car.What a diff.between the 1 and the 4 .When im done w/my Gs4 Im buying a 96 Grand sport I love that motor.But enough about vettes.

VetteBoy - I just sold my 94 Z28 LT-1 to buy my 98 GS400. I agree the GM engine cranks fewer times before starting, but that is a function of the computer system getting the inputs it needs before lighting the engine off. It is part of the emissions system programming. My GS cranks about twice as long and then lights. It is normal it seems.

On the Camaro I had to replace my optispark distributor, and the water pump, and the fuel pump, and the O2s, and the head gaskets, and the trans was rebuilt twice, and the differential once, and the ball joints, tie rod ends, and inner control arm bushings. The coolant level sensor failed, one injector failed, the driveshaft had a harmonic in it, so I replaced it with the LS-1 shaft, a couple of ignition wires burned through, and the starter failed, as did the bearings in the alternator. All this before 100k miles. Other than that stuff it was a reliable car. Got me home every time. Great fun when it ran correctly. And it will be the last domestic car I ever own. Trust to that.

I actually thought about the Impala SS before the Z28 began giving me trouble. As a mechanic I was able to do all the work except the trans myself. Had I had to pay someone, I think I would have had to sell my house. So the SS was off the list pretty quick. I did drive a new ZO-6 for a bit, and thought it was a wonderful car, near perfect. But out of warranty, it will be a headache at least.

Lexus for me, for life.

Great fun when it ran correctly.  And it will be the last domestic car I ever own.  Trust to that.

I hear ya. I will always own a Vette, I love creaming all the posers in thier Eurotrash M3/5 and 911s. They always ask me how come they lost, R&T, Car & Driver says they should win (never assume a Vette is stock :cheers: ) As for a daily driver, I can't take the GM interior anymore.

...Had I had to pay someone, I think I would have had to sell my house.  So the SS was off the list pretty quick....

I'm looking at the Lexus dealer where I bought my GS, they look pretty pricy too. Owning an Impala has taught me how to fix my own cars. The GS won't be any different. I'm not dropping $1,000 for the 90K service which includes about $150 worth of parts and fluids.....

One thing I have noticed is it's lots easier to swap the plugs on a Lexus V8 compared to a GM V8 :)

Ive eaten many vettes for breakfast and my car is still a daily driver!

For my LT4, 380/380 HP/torque isn't enough, that's why I'm installing long tubes, an 847 cam and porting the heads. 460HP/420FT*LBS should put me in the ~11.5 sec 1/4 mile and a 3.8 sec 0-60, that should take care of the new 911 Turbo :cheers: