Late Model Ls430 Steering Wheel On 1st Gen Ls400?

Does anyone know how hard it would be to install a late model LS430 steering wheel, or even a late 90's steering wheel to an early model LS400? I have a '91 LS400 w/ blue interior. My biggest concern is dealing with the airbag and electrical wiring.

I saw a 1st gen LS400 w/ a newer wood/leather steering and I really liked it. My next problem will be finding a used steering wheel in good condition for a decent price.

Any help anyone can bring would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

well it can def. be done.......i've seen it as well, (although i think i saw it on a GEN 2)

the problem isn't with the wheel fitting, i believe it will just mount straight up

(don't know about GEN 1 though) i know it will on gen 2

the problem is with the air bag, like you mentioned, it WON'T work, no which way you look at it.

and i'm sure you know that would be VERY dangerous not having front a air bag

but with a little fabrication you can get anything to work.......sorry i couldn't help more. <_<

Don't bother, you don't want to mess with the airbag. It could very well save your life one day: don't take ANY chances. Having a functional device like the airbag is much much more important than having a newer looking steering wheel.

If you want a wood wheel take your current wheel off and send it into American Stitches: http://www.american-stitches.com/ They can turn your normal wheel into a wood/leather wheel. Lexus dealers use these guys so you know they're good. It's gonna set you back though....ehhh I think they charge in the $500 neighborhood for the job, plus shipping. You pay for craftsmanship <_<

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I wouldn't want to mess with the airbag, or not have one in front of me. It's kind of weird, I drove cars without airbags for so long and I didn't even think about it, but since my first car with an airbag, I would never buy a car without one (well, unless it is a classic that I wouldn't be driving much). Amazing the sense of security they give.

Lexls ~ Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out american-stitches and see what they can do for me. (And thanks for your website, it has been very helpful!)

• 10 months later...
Does anyone know how hard it would be to install a late model LS430 steering wheel, or even a late 90's steering wheel to an early model LS400?  I have a '91 LS400 w/ blue interior.  My biggest concern is dealing with the airbag and electrical wiring.

I saw a 1st gen LS400 w/ a newer wood/leather steering and I really liked it.  My next problem will be finding a used steering wheel in good condition for a decent price.

Any help anyone can bring would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, go to http://www.american-stitches.com u can send them your steeringwheel without the airbag and a piece of wood trim u want them to match and in about 2 weeks they send it back to u all done about 300-400 dollars i have done it on 2 older LS400s and its just like the newer ones. that would be your best option