Advise Needed For Noobie...

I was looking for some advise for the GS 300 & 400.

I plan on buying either a GS 300 or 400 between the years of 98 and 00 and would like to know what opinions you have for these 2 cars and what is preferred by majority. I am currently driving a 95 civic with a turbo B16 and looking to move up to a lexus and since I am not looking to do 14's in the quarter with the lex, I was looking for a car that will have good life and since I will be buying used, my questions are:

1. How many miles would one expect to get out of a GS?

2. What year is recommended for either GS 300 or 400?

3. Are there any pro & cons to either series of cars?

4. Is there any benefits to the 300 over the 400 besides the obvious horsepower and gas mileage?

5. What would be some good pointers to look for in buying a Lexus?

Sorry for all of the "Stupid" questions, but I would hate to invest into a car that may not be very reliable and I always like to do my home work before buying.

Thanks again in advance for all of your help.

:cheers:

Revhard191

My impression is that the GS will go as far as an LS, and that the build quality is the same. Certainly the powertrain is very similar to the LS for the GS400, and the GS300 engine is a well proven piece as well.

I can't imagine that there is a bad year for the GS400, I have the first year of production and only the headlights seem to be a problem right now, if you can call condensation a "problem". I did drive an earlier GS300, a 1995, and did not like its appearance or driving dynamics.

My advice is to buy the GS400 - then you can have 14 second quarter mile times all day long in perfect comfort and silence.

At the end of the day though, they are all Lexus, and are about the most reliable car on the planet. That means the only variable is the previous owner, and that history counts for a lot when buying used.

Is that a b16a revhard?

Yes with extensive work and bullet proofing. I am tired of it and now looking for something with style and grace with a little behind the pedal. I am on the hunt for I think a GS 300. I was thinking of the 400 but the money is the problem.

What are some milage the people are getting out of there cars? Is buy a car with 100K on it bad or is it like a honda, where it is just a little over break in?

SRK

Thank you for your info, I have been a loyal Honda fan for quite some time and was looking for something else to play with. I also have a new Ford Expedition for my wife and money is a bit of a problem since I already have a $400 truck payment and was looking for someting that is not as expensive. (Kinda stupid question when talking about a Lexus.)

I am only looking to lower it on 20's, exhaust system and leaving it stock for the most part till I can afford to hop up the HP. I am new to the whole TRD thing and some buddies are always telling me to buy a Lexus and I can't go wrong so I think I will take there advise and buy one soon.

So everyones input is very important to my decisions between the 400 or the 300 and it also depends on the price. I am looking forward to reading everyones posts.

Revhard191

100k on a Lexus is just barely breaking it in. Many people on this board have 200k+ cars that still runs like a champ.

What's the price difference between the 300 and 400 you're looking at? If it were me I'd go with the 400 simply because there's more base power.

Are you interested in parting with that b16?

92Lex

Are you interested in parting with that b16?

Not really, I have invested too much money in to it with the turbo and all of the bullet proofing. I was thinking about selling it to my brother-in-law since he has been looking for a car, just a little afraid of him either totalling the car or just getting stupid in it and trying to race everyone. And he also lives in Huntington Beach and the cops are not to fond of turbo civics, especially when all you see is the polished intercooler in the R-33 front bumper cover. LOL

If I do part it out I will give you first dibs on it. I just need to find my Lexus first and then see where I go with the civic. I will keep you posted.

Are you looking for a B16A? If so, I know someone who has a GSR motor that is looking to get rid of.

Revhard191

I have always liked the GS but never knew I would be able to afford one until now. With as many years that I have with customizing my hondas and showing them as well as competiting in sound offs for many years, I have always thought that the price for the Lexus was out of my grasps well that is what I thought.

I also have another expensive hobbie such as racing go karts and that takes a whole lot of my extra cash and time on the weekends. I am ending my season next week and looking to go over my finances to see where I stand for next year as well as a budget for a new car(GS) and that will determine what kind of things that I will do to it after I purchase the car.

My wife says to go and just buy it, so now the search is on.

Revhard191

Nah, I'm not interested in a b18c at the moment, unless you know somebody that has b18 block with a b16a head. Keep me informed on that motor though.

I was heavily involved in the import scene before I bought my LS. It's a great hobby but I hate the fix-it tickets that go along with it. I'm planning on building myself another toy car soon.

Good luck on finding that car!