Auto Trans Check

hwypup

Referring to my previous post I need to know if the Auto Tran. fluid is checked with engine running or not. I get different readings depending on method I use and the owners manual doesn't state proper way to check. With all the posts on Trani. problems, I want to make sure I keep mine at the proper level.

99 RX 300 AWD

Thanks, hwypup

Has anyone out there, in modern days, without other obvious indications like oil pooling under the car, checked their transmission fluid and found it low?

Its been a VERY long time for me.

So its probably more important to look at the color and odor of the fluid to be sure it isn't burned.

Good point. Many vehicles seem to arrive from the factory with far too much fluid according to their dipsticks, and most transmission shops have a tendency to overfill as well when you go in for fluid change.

Still another reason to learn to change your own transmission fluid. Proper fluid level is important as is observing, feeling, and smelling the condition of your fluid. Make this a habit every time you check your engine oil level and tire pressure.

According to OEM Manual for my SC400, check the oil level with engine OFF, car on level ground. If the car has been running then the level should be checked with the HOT marker. If the car has not been running then check with the COLD marker.

RX manual

10. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL 

Park the vehicle on a level surface.

With the engine idling and the parking and foot brake applied, shift the selector into all positions from "P" to "L" , and then shift into "P".

Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean rag. Re-insert the dipstick fully and check that the fluid level is in the HOT range.

Do this check with the fluid at normal driving temperature (70 - 80°C (158 - 176°F) ). If the level is at the low side, add fluid.

NOTE: Do not overfill.

HINT: Wait about 30 minutes before checking the fluid level after extended driving at high speeds in hot weather, driving in heavy traffic or with a trailer.