Need Advice On Purchase

ROBERT THOMASON

I am looking at purchasing a 94 LS400. I am familiar with the Lexus cars, because my parents own a 94 LS400. This car is in great shape inside and out. It is white with tan leather. The BIG problem with the car is that it has a SALVAGE title.

The car was bought in 1998 buy a guy that fixed it and his wife has driven it ever since. The car has been garaged kept. I am currently seeking more info on the maintance of the car (timming belt change,etc ) The car is in almost near new looking condition. The only things I see so far that is anything that would take away from the car is the hood shocks are bad and the leather is starting to show some wear.

I can get the car for $6500.00 and it has 136k miles on it. I am just wondering if this is a pretty good deal with a car with a salvage title? Also was there a "Anniversary Edition" Model in that year because this has floor mats that say that. Thanks for the help. Robert

Other basic things the car has:

Anniversary Edition

Opel White Pearl paint

Tan leather

Upgraded mats

CD Changer

Michelin tires

Built in phone

UPDATE ON CAR:

I decided to buy the car, even with the salvage history. I ended up paying $6000.00 for the car. The car seems to have no problems and looks almost new. The seats were pretty dirty but I cleaned them and they look as good as new.

SEAT CLEANING:

I cleaned the seats with Greased Lightning and a soft brush and whiped dry. After that I used a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" and water to finish the job. I do not reccommend this method for every one. If you are not carful you will spot your leather. If you do it you have to spray it on and scrub it untill you get a even clean. Overspary on other parts of your seat will spot. So be careful. But if you have trIed everything and cant get your seats clean this will work. My seats look almost new except for some wear spots.

After doing this and they dry real good I reccomend using a good conditioner because this stuff is pretty harsh. You will also notice a little color come off on your rags. Even with that I cant see a difference, other than they look like new.

Robert

Edited by ROBERT THOMASON

I am looking at purchasing a 94 LS400. I am familiar with the Lexus cars, because my parents own a 94 LS400. This car is in great shape inside and out. It is white with tan leather. The BIG problem with the car is that it has a SALVAGE title.

The car was bought in 1998 buy a guy that fixed it and his wife has driven it ever since. The car has been garaged kept. I am currently seeking more info on the maintance of the car (timming belt change,etc ) The car is in almost near new looking condition. The only things I see so far that is anything that would take away from the car is the hood shocks are bad and the leather is starting to show some wear.

I can get the car for $6500.00 and it has 136k miles on it. I am just wondering if this is a pretty good deal with a car with a salvage title? Also was there a "Limited Edition" Model in that year because this has floor mats that say that.  Thanks for the help. Robert

CD Changer

Michelin tires

built in phone

I am looking for a 93 or 94 LS400, they are nice cars!

I would look at www.craigslist.com for your region. If you haven't already done so, look at cars.com and autotrader (traderonline.com). Look at the local newpapers, get a feel for what things are going for, then weigh it up.

The milage and features seem pretty good. I have seen 94s with reasonable milage as low as $4000 to $5000, but none near me!

This is a GREAT forum, lots of REALLY knowledgable people!

Good luck ! LS400~es ;)

I can get the car for $6500.00 and it has 136k miles on it. I am just wondering if this is a pretty good deal with a car with a salvage title? Also was there a "Limited Edition" Model in that year because this has floor mats that say that.  Thanks for the help. Robert

CD Changer

Michelin tires

built in phone

Personally, a salvage title would not do it for me. And if you ever sell it your buyer will probably feel the same way. And you'll probably always worry about "how bad was it damaged." You're already concerned now. Just my 2 cents.

:cries: One person's opinion but I would l not touch that car unless it was free or close to it. A salvage is never a deal as the car can not be sold anywhere "cause the next prospect will never "understand." Unless you plan to keep the car until it dies naturally, I would pass. Again, I am just one guy but I have been in the car busines for 40 years and no good has ever come from a salvage car - at least in my personal experience.

Best wishes to you on whatever decision you make but if you DO decide to go forwad, for heaven's sakes, don't pay that much for the car. Remember, the owner has the same problem I just defined for you so he needs you more than you need him!!!

Lexus is the ONLY way to go - I agree with you on that and I have been around a whole lot of cars in my years!

Best of Luck and please take my message in the spirit in which it is sent to a fellow Lexus lover! and, by the way, Happy Holidays whatever you do!

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson

A friend of mine was rear ended in his 97 LS400. His insurance wasn't going to total it initailly but he pleaded and begged and they finally agreed.

Then a friend of his, under his guidance, got a really, REALLY, good deal on a salavge titled 97 LS400.

It is important to know WHY a car was salvaged. It's not always because the car was wrecked. There can be legitimate reasons for the salvage title that are relatively minor. For example, 7 years ago I stumbled onto a '74 Toyota pickup at a Auto Auction that was in immaculate cosmetic shape, but made a horrific engine noise. Upon inspection I found the noise was really just from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket and rotted out exhaust pipe. The rest of the vehicle showed little mechanical wear and tear and the truck had just 67,000 miles.

Well I bought the truck for a bargain price of $400 and fixed the exhaust and it has run like new for the past 7 years. I also contacted the orginal owner via DMV records and found out that he was an elderly old man who drove the truck short distances which is why the exhaust rotted out and the rot caused the truck to fail smog which is why it was salvaged. Anyway, because the old man had driven the truck so gently, it has little mechanical wear and tear and the paint is like new because he kept the truck garaged.

Bottom line: Some salvaged vehicles are real bargains, although most are probably junk beater cars.

I have had 2 salvage title vehicles. Both were so nice you could not tell what had happened to them. I bought them very cheap.

But when I went to sell them.....nobody wanted them. Finally a guy in California that had a body shop bought them for cheap and I am sure he had the idea of clearing those salvage titles.

So I speak from experience. If I were to buy a salvage title vehicle...then I would plan to drive it till it was a parts for sale only vehicle. That said and the demand for Lexus used or even reasonable parts :( not so bad.

But about $3500 is all I would do....again..planning on "being married" to the vehicle.

Other reasons I say that is:

I paid $4700 for my 95 with 150,000 miles.

There was a 94 immaculate car I passed up for $7500 with 125,000 miles.

There was a 93 one owner all service records I could have had for $5000.

So I think you should look some more unless you want to marry the car.