Navi In '98 Ls400

Katydid

We want to upgrade to the '04 info and understand that the Navi in our car is the hard drive variety rather than the dvd. We have been told that we'll need to replace the hard drive, which resides in the trunk. My husband wants to just send for one and install it himself. Sounds like a matter of simply placing and plugging in. :unsure: Is that close? Would appreciate advice and encouragement of anyone who has done this. Thanks!

Try www.lexus-parts.com for the part.

It is just a hard drive and I assume it would be pretty easy to swap it out.

Bear in mind that the map won't LOOK like the 04's nav, it will just have updated streets and POIs.

Try www.lexus-parts.com for the part.

It is just a hard drive and I assume it would be pretty easy to swap it out.

Bear in mind that the map won't LOOK like the 04's nav, it will just have updated streets and POIs.

Thanks for the information. I'm still confused. Is there anyway I could find out for sure that I myself could do the intallation? :unsure: I'm no geek or nerd. I will try the above web site for the part. Maybe they will have some information on that.

Also curious about what the screen difference would be between the hard drive variety and the dvd Navie?

Thanks again, Bill

The DVD nav has a much larger screen and an entirely new menu system, it also has a lot more POIs than the old hard drive system and processes faster.

As for figuring out if you can do it yourself I would call Sewell Lexus (thats lexus-parts.com) and ask them if they can send some instructions with the part. If you can't install it you can always take the part to your Lexus dealer and pay them to do it, you've still saved money on the part by ordering it online.

• 4 weeks later...
The DVD nav has a much larger screen and an entirely new menu system, it also has a lot more POIs than the old hard drive system and processes faster.

As for figuring out if you can do it yourself I would call Sewell Lexus (thats lexus-parts.com) and ask them if they can send some instructions with the part. If you can't install it you can always take the part to your Lexus dealer and pay them to do it, you've still saved money on the part by ordering it online.

We finally got the new hard drive and it was a snap to install. However just a wee bit of disappointment with it: Revealed when we touch the Info 'button' on the screen is that the data is Sept. '03!!!! :angry: We ordered and thought we were getting the sep. '04. I'm off to send them (Sewell) an email asking what happened. We were jipped... by how much I don't know but jipped nontheless, don't you think? :unsure:

Bill

I got a nav update DVD for Christmas from my mom lol Mom's are great ;)

There was a big warning that if you have the older variety nav it can only be updated to a certain point, that Sep. 03 version may be the point.