Smell In 2003 Es300

kristiad

I have a 2003 ES300 and have had a problem with a smell. Last week the carpet was removed and we found mold under the carpet pad on the passenger side - front seat. Anyone had any problems like this? This was the first summer I had the car and I am trying to figure out whether this is related to the air conditioner. Any input is appreciated.

I have a 2003 ES300 and have had a problem with a smell. Last week the carpet was removed and we found mold under the carpet pad on the passenger side - front seat.  Anyone had any problems like this? This was the first summer I had the car and I am trying to figure out whether this is related to the air conditioner.  Any input is appreciated.

The odor ususally originates from mildew buildup on the A/C evaporator coil. If you have mold under the carpet, then there may also be a leak.

Try these threads.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=mildew++mold

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=carpet++odor

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...77&hl=A/C++odor

I have a 2003 ES300 and have had a problem with a smell. Last week the carpet was removed and we found mold under the carpet pad on the passenger side - front seat.  Anyone had any problems like this? This was the first summer I had the car and I am trying to figure out whether this is related to the air conditioner.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks. The service manager made me feel like the stain was due to something being spilled in the car. After a lengthy discussion, he agreed to replace the carpet and the pad. I am very concerned that this is going to be a continuing problem in that they never admitted there was a problem. In fact, they wanted to charge me $1400 to replace the carpet and pad. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that I am a lawyer. I wish I had known about this website prior to going to the dealership so I could have been armed with all the info. It is very difficult for me to believe they have never heard of this problem before. I will be contacting the local district service manager.

In one of the threds here, the owner replaced all the carpets, pad, etc and still had problems.

Around here we use "Purex" bleach mixed with water to clean mildew off houses and roofs and stuff. I'd expect that after the leak is fixed, a thorough cleaning with some sort of fungicidal solution would be necessary before replacing with new carpet, etc.

Thats not all that uncommon on oldervehicles with clogged A/C evaporator and aging seals but thats unheard of on a 2003...

There's got to be a leak somewhere. Did you buy the car new or used?

I bought it new in Sept of 03. Svc. manager says no leak found. I find it hard to believe though.