Passenger Seat Belt Warning Light

I've owned my GS300 for almost a month and my wife has complained when she puts her purse on the passenger seat, the seat belt warning light comes on. My solution, don't put the purse on the seat! Well, the other day I put a tape measure on the passenger seat and the damn idiot light comes on. That is way too sensitive. I asked the dealer but they said there is no adjustment, so maybe someone here knows something.

I've owned my GS300 for almost a month and my wife has complained when she puts her purse on the passenger seat, the seat belt warning light comes on.

Does you wife happen to carry a kitchen sink in her purse? :whistles: I looked through the service manual and failed to find a specification having to do with how much weight must be applied to the seat to turn on the light. If you ask around, some dealer may be able to find that specification. Most likely, something in the sensor is out of specification or has become damaged. Replacing it involves removing the seat, stripping off the lower covering and replacing the part.

Just a sidenote: I had the occaision to have this sensor replaced in a 1999 Mercedes Benz S320 to the tune of $650.00. I'd be curious to see how much the boys down at the Lexus garage charge.