Chrome Plated Rims

lancesavage

2000 GS 300 w/ chrome plated rims

I have been told by local tire store that the reason for pressure loss in a few of my tires is that the chrome is flaking off the seal area causing a leak. They have dressed the area a bit but still the tires leak. They also went on to say that this is a problem that a few other car manufacturers have encountered, lot to lot, with these type of rims due to poor chroming procedures.

Anyone one else having this problem? Lexus customer service, as usual, has never heard of the problem. Just like they claim never to have heard of poor quality with their lcd displays.

• 3 months later...

Yes! Yes! I too have the problem! I kept getting flat tires, thinking it was the tire. I even took out a service warrantee on new tires at Sears, to which they tried fixing the flattened tires on several occasions. But then on about the 6th time in the shop, one of the guys found small, almost pinpoint sized rust holes on the inside lip of the rim. Finally, we found the culprit... the rim was leaking, not the tire.

Anyway, it has now been almost a year that I have been driving with my ugly spare rim, because I can't find a used one to match it. The rims are the 5 spoke/star Chrome, on a 1997 ES300. The cost of a new rim is over $650, which we really don't want to spend the money for if we can find a used one. But I'm now getting desperate. I'm told that any chrome rims for that Lexus year, were NOT factory, that the dealers had it added on. Apparently, it's nearly impossible to find a replacement.

post-13938-1109725040_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I used to see a lot of that when I worked in a tire shop many years ago. If the flaking is not too bad we use to use a grinding wheel & removed any flaking chrome plating as smooth as possible. This worked about half the time. The flaking is caused not only because of poor plating but moisture that gets into the tire. Depending on where you fill up your tire, if they don't drain their compressors everynight condensation & water stays in the tank & lines & transfers inside your wheel & tires causing the plating to flake off over time. I once opened up a tire that had almost 2 onces of water in it.

Yes! Yes! I too have the problem! I kept getting flat tires, thinking it was the tire. I even took out a service warrantee on new tires at Sears, to which they tried fixing the flattened tires on several occasions. But then on about the 6th time in the shop, one of the guys found small, almost pinpoint sized rust holes on the inside lip of the rim. Finally, we found the culprit... the rim was leaking, not the tire.

Anyway, it has now been almost a year that I have been driving with my ugly spare rim, because I can't find a used one to match it. The rims are the 5 spoke/star Chrome, on a 1997 ES300.  The cost of a new rim is over $650, which we really don't want to spend the money for if we can find a used one. But I'm now getting desperate.  I'm told that any chrome rims for that Lexus year, were NOT factory, that the dealers had it added on. Apparently, it's nearly impossible to find a replacement.

Try "www.capitalwheels.com", I believe they are located in LosAngeles.

GoodLuck!

• 1 year later...

Anyway, it has now been almost a year that I have been driving with my ugly spare rim, because I can't find a used one to match it. The rims are the 5 spoke/star Chrome, on a 1997 ES300. The cost of a new rim is over $650, which we really don't want to spend the money for if we can find a used one. But I'm now getting desperate. I'm told that any chrome rims for that Lexus year, were NOT factory, that the dealers had it added on. Apparently, it's nearly impossible to find a replacement.

Hi I have four of those Lexus wheels in chrome on my 1998 sc 300 they are 16" wheels. i am in the process of replacing them as I boughtnew rims I couls sell you one cheap say $50.00. plus shipping if you like. the only problem is the wheels I bought must fit my ride otherwise I will stay with the crome. I bought a set of four 2006 gs300 ten spoke rims which ebay guy says will work on my car. I will be geting them checked out today.

Scott