Good Deal Or Keep Looking?

Jimbo1285

today i checked out an 93 sc400 with 140k clean title. asking 6500. only problem's climate control display bottom part turned black. cd changer skips a little. and a little small cut on the driver door panel. engine a little clicking sound think it might be injector. or valves and think maybe rear diff. oil need to be changed becasue when shifting into drive mays a small click sound. but car drives very smooth. should i keep look or just go for it????

Before buying any used lexus have the checked out by a lexus dealer for approx. $90 and get their service history and the carfax history. I think you can get a car with lower miles and remember that the '93 has the old R12 AC system which is expensive to recharge if it leaks. The '94 models got the new R34 AC . Check Ebay and Yahoo and autobytel etc to see what is available but whatever you decide on have it checked out first by lexus !!! Good Luck-----

Any mileage over 100k is excessive and you are taking your chances. These cars are built like tanks and will run for a few hundred thousand miles so long as they are maintained. I've seen Lexus' with low miles in terrible operating condition. You want to get the Lexus dealer to take a look at it for sure as they will point out everything that is wrong with it in hopes that you'll let them do the work. There is an advantage to buying a vehicle with high mileage however. If the owner took pride in his vehicle, all the things that are going to break usually have already been replaced by the time the car hits 150k. I have 180k on mine and she still does everything I want her to do and then some! The injectors tick on my 93SC400. It's very important to check the transmission fluid and rear diff oil. I use Amsoil synthetic in rear diff and OEM Toyota in the tranny. The coolant temp should read below half when it is at operating temp. You'll want to take a look under the car to inspect the rear drive axel boots for tears as they are very expensive and labor intensive to replace. Getting under the vehicle will expose any leaks that are going on. You'll want to see the bottom side of the motor with the splash shield removed to check for leaks or damage. I had a customer of mine who bought a 93 GS300 with 108k on it come into my shop just a few days ago that he just bought from a used car lot. The rear diff seals were leaking on both sides. The lower control arm bushings were worn. The boots on the steering rack were leaking.The power steering pump had a massive leak that was flinging fluid all over the serpentine belt. The car drove fine besides the 1100 rpm idle. So as you can see mileage doesn't mean everything. He paid 9k for his Lex from a used car lot. It would cost him another 3k to get that car right. They are wonderful machines but can easily be maintenance nightmares if you buy the wrong one. Check it out throughly and make sure you take a look under the bottom for yourself. Email me if you have any specific questions SAMOHT023@AOL.COM www.tintassassin.com

Thanks that was really really good advice. i was going to take it to my uncles shop anyways but i really didn't know know what to look for other then any leaks and thats about it. i be sure to rise the car and look under the splash shield. really thanks again. SAMOHT023