Need Advice For Gs400 To Begin Mods

I'm new to this forum - so bear with me. I have a 1999 GS400 black on black with 17" factory chrome rims. I would like to know what mods make sense from an aesthetic first before performance approach.

Currently my car is at the Lexus dealership for the 60K mile service - (pretty expensive), and the car is having the brakes done, and I believe new V-neck?, and basic lube. They also told me I needed new tires.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 235/45ZR17 on the car and they lasted me about 21K miles.

I would really like to lower the car to eliminate the fender gap, but at the same time still utilize my 17" chrome wheels, with possibly new tires.

If you guys could let me know what's the best way to do this as well as, maybe a list of 10-15 or so mods in order from aesthetic to performance, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

That is a tall order. ;)

What do you mean by "eliminate" the fender gap? Reduced gap? No gap? Tuck?

As for mods, here are some:

Handling:

Sways

Front and Rear STBs

Front and Rear LCBs

Sportier Shocks/Springs or Coilovers (this ties into your lowering question)

Performance:

High Stall Torque Converter and Tranny Cooler

LSD

Intake

Exhaust

L-Tuned Steering ECU

Aesthetics (OEM):

01+ Gauge Cover

01+ Tail Lights

HIDs (if you don't already have it)

01+ Grille

Sportdesign Grille

Aesthetics (Aftermarket):

Grille

Body Kit (Front Bumper or lip, side skirts, rear bumper or lip)

Roof Spoiler

Trunk Spoiler (if you don't have one)

All of these items are available for the car. It is hard to go into specifics without know more of what you want and what the budget is. You may want some or all of these things. Let us know more specifics to help narrow down the answers.

That is a tall order. ;)

What do you mean by "eliminate" the fender gap?  Reduced gap? No gap?  Tuck?

As for mods, here are some:

Handling:

Sways

Front and Rear STBs

Front and Rear LCBs

Sportier Shocks/Springs or Coilovers (this ties into your lowering question)

Performance:

High Stall Torque Converter and Tranny Cooler

LSD

Intake

Exhaust

L-Tuned Steering ECU

Aesthetics (OEM):

01+ Gauge Cover

01+ Tail Lights

HIDs (if you don't already have it)

01+ Grille

Sportdesign Grille

Aesthetics (Aftermarket):

Grille

Body Kit (Front Bumper or lip, side skirts, rear bumper or lip)

Roof Spoiler

Trunk Spoiler (if you don't have one)

All of these items are available for the car.  It is hard to go into specifics without know more of what you want and what the budget is.  You may want some or all of these things.  Let us know more specifics to help narrow down the answers.

Thanks for your quick response Neo. I suppose what I would like to do intially is to reduce, or possibly not see any (no) fender gap while being able to keep/utilize my current 17" factory chrome wheels.

Keep in mind that I am new to modding and that I'm not sure of the terms, part names, etc. e.g. not sure what HIDs are or what how tuck gap looks. I totally need to get educated, and that's why I came here. Teach me step one through....

So for now unfortunately my budget is limited and I will have to settle for a baby step approach. Starting with new tires - because of neccesity, and an econimical way of lowering my car to reduce or visually see no fender gap without losing the smooth ride.

Hello I also own a Gs4 and once u start modding you cant stop or I cant atleast.I read your article and then ran acroos these springs on ebay.You sound like you want to keep it cheap and this could be a good way.Hope it helps and Good luck.http://search.ebay.com/lexus-gs_W0QQfromZR8QQsorecordstoskipZ150QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Congrats on your ride man, I'm sure it looks good on the chrome 17's. I have a silver one and it came with the same rims.

I used the Eibach springs, $240, to lower mine and remove that gap.

Well, it lowered the car about an inch anyway, but to REALLY remove that gap AND keep a good ride quality, you'd have to go with coil-overs, which is a spring and shock assembly and those are more expensive. More like $800-$1500.

If you go with springs only like I did, you'll find the stock ride is there for the straight line stuff, but with some improvement in the corners as well. From my personal experience, I can see that I should also buy some new appropriate shocks from a good shop like Koni or something because now my springs and shocks are not well balanced. The new, better, shocks are probably going to run me $400-$450.

If you look at a bunch of the pictures in this sites gallery, or at other Lexus sites on the web, you can get a good idea of how the car will look with either springs, or the more expense and 'lower' coil-overs.

Does anybody have any photos of lowered cars with 17" wheels using springs/shocks or coilovers. I've looked through the gallery and everything seems to be 19 or 20 inch, or they don't mention the size at all. I would really like to see how the car would look before I lower it.

other?'s

1. pros and cons of spring/shock vs coilovers

2. cost of springs/shock - recomended brand and installed

3. cost of coilovers - recomended brand and installed

4. my tires Michelin Pilot Sport 235/45ZR17 - is this okay - pro's and cons

5. good place to take my car for service and lowering in Redondo Beach, CA -socal-southbay/la area

thanks...

Thanks for your quick response Neo.  I suppose what I would like to do intially is to reduce, or possibly not see any (no) fender gap while being able to keep/utilize my current 17" factory chrome wheels.

Keep in mind that I am new to modding and that I'm not sure of the terms, part names, etc. e.g. not sure what HIDs are or what how tuck gap looks.  I totally need to get educated, and that's why I came here.  Teach me step one through....

So for now unfortunately my budget is limited and I will have to settle for a baby step approach.  Starting with new tires - because of neccesity, and an econimical way of lowering my car to reduce or visually see no fender gap without losing the smooth ride.

HIDs are the High Intensity Discharge headlights, similar (but not exactly the same) to the BMW Xenon headlights.

Tuck means that your tire/wheel is inside the fender.

So step 1 is tires.

Step 2 is gap reduction. I have not seen a set of springs that will allow no gap to the fender. One of the lowest springs are the Daizen progressive springs. They lower 1.9" in front and 1.7" in the rear. These will also ride similar to stock. Couple these with some L-Tuned shocks and you have a winner.

The "right" way to do it is with coillovers. Coilovers are lighter, gives you adjustable height, and on some adjustable damping. Coilovers, however, costs a bit more. Coilovers are between 800 - 4000 (depending on brand and features) while shocks/springs will set you back 450 - 600. Installation should be about 200 give or take.

I have a 98 Gs4 w/the stock chrome 17s and its been lowered using the l-tuned springs and struts 1.2-1.4 drop. I can email you a pic im not sure how to post one here.I agree if performance is what you want coilovers are the way to go.I chose this route because of pricing and performance it offers a great improvement over the stock but isnt going to be as capable as the coilovers.If you dont want to spend alot and are doing this for looks get springs if you want looks and performance get springs and struts if you want the best performer get the coilovers.Good Luck. P.S Did you check out the link I posted above?Theres a day left on them?

I have a 98 Gs4 w/the stock chrome 17s and its been lowered using the l-tuned springs and struts 1.2-1.4 drop.

I started with L-Tuned S/S and they work fine. It may not be a low enough drop for him though since he want close to no gap.

Newbig400,

Could you send me a picture of your GS lowered to my address @ lexgs30021@yahoo.com? I just purchased an Eibach Pro Kit but I think that I am going to send them back and get some Tanabe NF210's with L-tuned shocks because I don't think that the Eibach's will lower my car enough. Thanks!