Rx330 Brake Lights

Franco

I have a RX330 and the bulb indicator lamp is lighted on the dashboard and the left brake light does indeed not work. The tail light on that side does work.

I opened up the housing and found the bulb but it appears to be a single filament bulb, which is not what I was expecting since it appears that the tail and brake lights are one bulb.

I have identified the bulb as a No. 168. I also notice that there is a printed circuit board contained within the light housing. Could it be that the brake light is controlled in some way by that circuit board? Or am I missing something fundamental in the light housing.

There are only two bulbs in the llight housing; the turn signal bulb (which is amber) and the tail/brake which is an oblong, clear bulb.

How do I diagnose and repair the left rear brake light on my vehicle?

Thanks to all.

I have a RX330 and the bulb indicator lamp is lighted on the dashboard and the left brake light does indeed not work.  The tail light on that side does work.

I opened up the housing and found the bulb but it appears to be a single filament bulb, which is not what I was expecting since it appears that the tail and brake lights are one bulb.

I have identified the bulb as a No. 168.  I also notice that there is a printed circuit board contained within the light housing.  Could it be that the brake light is controlled in some way by that circuit board?  Or am I missing something fundamental in the light housing. 

There are only two bulbs in the llight housing; the turn signal bulb (which is amber) and the tail/brake which is an oblong, clear bulb.

How do I diagnose and repair the left rear brake light on my vehicle?

Thanks to all.

You have to unscrew the rear break light panels . The screws are located on the side of the break light.(Pop open the trunk)

I thought the RX330 used LED's for all the rear lights.

If not how many filament type bulbs are there?

There are two filament bulbs in the tail light housing. An amber turn signal and a clear bulb which I believe is the combo tail/brake light. They are the newer push-in type bulbs with the flat, glass base (as opposed to push & twist).

There is also a printed circuit board attached to the tail light housing. I am wondering if it controls the clear bulb, increasing the intensity when the brake is applied. What I have noticed recently is that the brak light sometimes does work. When it works sometimes it illuminates at the full intensity and sometimes at a diminished intensity. That is what makes me suspect the printed circuit board may be the culprit but I do not know how to test it.

Thank you for your feedback and in advance for any information you may have on this topic.

Franco