Gs300 Amp

Been riding w/out a radio for several weeks now and it's been a torture. I'll try to fix it myself first by asking for advise. If unsuccessful, then to the Lexus dealer we go. I have narrowed it down why my radio fuse keeps blowing. First I thought it was the radio. I pulled the radio and the fuse still pops. Then I pull the CD changer and still the same thing. Next I pulled the AMP and to my supprise, the fuse remains intack. Then I plugged up the AMP and what do you know, the fuse blows. I don't know much about car stereo so please HELP! I know I have an AMP problem but how can I test to know for sure. :cries:

Sounds like you already tested it. With the amp disconnected, you can replace the amp fuse. If there are no shorts in the harness. the fuse should remain good until you attempt to plug the amp back in.

If there are two connectors on the amp, one for inputs (power, etc.) and one for outputs (speakers) then you should be sure to try the amp with the output connector disconnected. If there is a short in, or a blown speaker, there is a remote possibility that it will cause the amp fuse to blow when you connect the speaker harness to the amp. Most likely though, the amp is the problem.

Go to scrapyard, get amp, replace.

Hint: Put the year of your car in your profile. We have no idea what you have.

Before reding this post, realize i'm an electronics technician.

If it's the amp, typically what will happen is solders will break loose, or there will be physical damage to the board or component, causing an open or short. If you're technically inclined, open up your amplifier and look for visible defects (black spots, white residue, or a somewhat fishy smell). The smell means a bad capacitor and is usually accompanied by white residue...If a component is bad, a new component can be bought at radio shack or ordered online from allied electronics. If a solder is bad, just resolder. Dust can also cause heat problems (thermal runaway)..make sure the board is clean.

To most people fixing it just isn't worth the time. If you decide to get a new one...i'll pay shipping to take the old one off your hands.

• 6 years later...

Before reding this post, realize i'm an electronics technician.

If it's the amp, typically what will happen is solders will break loose, or there will be physical damage to the board or component, causing an open or short. If you're technically inclined, open up your amplifier and look for visible defects (black spots, white residue, or a somewhat fishy smell). The smell means a bad capacitor and is usually accompanied by white residue...If a component is bad, a new component can be bought at radio shack or ordered online from allied electronics. If a solder is bad, just resolder. Dust can also cause heat problems (thermal runaway)..make sure the board is clean.

To most people fixing it just isn't worth the time. If you decide to get a new one...i'll pay shipping to take the old one off your hands.

guys I need an amp too, I have 2001 GS300 Mark Levinson with gps, do you knwo how to get one?

Thanks