Question about RX450h+ while on 3 wk vacation

Go to solution Solved by RX400h,

We will be on an 18 day vacation to Europe and I'm wondering if there are any guidelines to follow for letting my 2024 RX450h+ sit in the garage for that period. I seem to recall reading that a plug-in hybrid should NOT be left fully charged for an extended period, but that doesn't make sense, and I can't recall where I read that. Any feedback? 

• Solution
23 hours ago, Bill6288 said:

We will be on an 18 day vacation to Europe and I'm wondering if there are any guidelines to follow for letting my 2024 RX450h+ sit in the garage for that period. I seem to recall reading that a plug-in hybrid should NOT be left fully charged for an extended period, but that doesn't make sense, and I can't recall where I read that. Any feedback? 

Here are some guidelines to help ensure your vehicle remains in good condition during your 18-day absence: Source: Copilot

1. Battery Charge Level: It’s generally recommended not to leave the battery fully charged or completely empty for extended periods. Aim to leave the battery at around 50-60% charge. This helps maintain battery health.

2. Parking Location: If possible, park your car in a cool, dry place, such as a garage. This protects it from the elements and helps maintain the battery’s temperature.

3. Disconnect the Battery: For longer periods, you might consider disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12V battery to prevent any parasitic drain from the car’s electronics.

4. Tire Pressure: Inflate your tires to the recommended pressure to avoid flat spots. If you have access to a tire pump, you can slightly overinflate them by a few PSI to compensate for any slow leaks.

5. Fuel Level: Ensure your fuel tank is at least half full to prevent condensation from forming inside the tank.

6. Security: Make sure your car is locked and any valuables are removed. If you have a garage, ensure it is secure.

7. Check Fluids: Before you leave, check all fluid levels (oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc.) to ensure they are at the proper levels.