CD Changer continues to spin

I have a 1995 SC400.  The entire audio system stopped working several years ago.  I was waiting to have the audio system upgraded when I have the vehicle totally restored.  Recently, I replaced the battery.  Now the CD changer continues to spin.  This is the 6-disc changer.  The cartridge is not loaded and no CD is stuck in it.  Again, it has not played in many, many years. Any idea what is causing this?  I disconnected the battery cables in fear this issue would drain it.

2 hours ago, MY95LEX said:

I have a 1995 SC400.  The entire audio system stopped working several years ago.  I was waiting to have the audio system upgraded when I have the vehicle totally restored.  Recently, I replaced the battery.  Now the CD changer continues to spin.  This is the 6-disc changer.  The cartridge is not loaded and no CD is stuck in it.  Again, it has not played in many, many years. Any idea what is causing this?  I disconnected the battery cables in fear this issue would drain it.

Copilot
Sent by Copilot:

It sounds like your 1995 Lexus SC400’s CD changer might be experiencing a common issue related to its age and the recent battery replacement. Here are a few potential causes and solutions:

1. Resetting the System: Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery can cause the CD changer to reset and attempt to recalibrate itself. This might explain why it started spinning after the battery replacement. You can try disconnecting the battery again for a few minutes to see if it resets the system properly.

2. Stuck Mechanism: Even though there are no CDs in the changer, the internal mechanism might be stuck or misaligned. This can cause the changer to keep spinning as it tries to find a disc. You might need to manually inspect and possibly realign the mechanism.

3. Electrical Issues: There could be an electrical fault within the CD changer itself, such as a short circuit or a failing component. Given the age of the vehicle, some internal components might have degraded over time.

4. Parasitic Drain: As you mentioned, keeping the CD changer spinning could drain the battery. If the issue persists, it might be best to disconnect the CD changer entirely until you can have it professionally inspected or replaced.

Since the audio system hasn’t been used in years and you’re planning to upgrade it eventually, you might consider removing the CD changer altogether for now. This would prevent any potential battery drain and avoid further complications.