Car Doesn't Start Right Away!

I thought it was my battery. Bought one last night, put it in, car doing same thing. When I turn the key to start the car, it will click once. I turn the key back, and turn again, then it will start. Again, I have bought a new battery thinking that was the problem. What could it be? Please help! :( 1996 GS300...

Could be corroded conections at the battery terminals or inside the wires at the battery terminals. Do you have an aftermarket alarm on the vehicle? If so, some shops use SCOTCH LOCKS OR T-TAPS for the starter kill connection, these start to lose contact or sometimes cut through the wire enough to cause a problem like you described. Starter solenoid could be going out.

One of my battery connections is a little loose. The clamp that goes on the battery is not clamped down very tight on the wire because I can wiggle the wire around in the battery clamp. Maybe I will try and clamp down tighter to see if that loose connection is the problem. No, I don't have an aftermarket alarm. Thanks, guys, for your help.

One of my battery connections is a little loose.  The clamp that goes on the battery is not clamped down very tight on the wire because I can wiggle the wire around in the battery clamp.  Maybe I will try and clamp down tighter to see if that loose connection is the problem.  No, I don't have an aftermarket alarm.  Thanks, guys, for your help.

good advice, and I sure hope it helps!

I'm have to go out on a limb though, and say that I think it's something different.

it just seems too consistent in it's nature to be a connection, and the description of the problem is off IMO.

I would suspect a solenoid to act like this, where it will click only, but not even attempt to turn over.

I would suspect a loose connection to be a little less consistent. (again, just my opinion here...)

now, I have to admit that the problem sounds like no other starting problem I've seen, so,.....I'm wondering if it could be the key?

It hasn't happened again in about 4 or 5 days.....(just an update)...

One of my battery connections is a little loose.  The clamp that goes on the battery is not clamped down very tight on the wire because I can wiggle the wire around in the battery clamp.  Maybe I will try and clamp down tighter to see if that loose connection is the problem.  No, I don't have an aftermarket alarm.  Thanks, guys, for your help.

I'm have to go out on a limb though, and say that I think it's something different.

it just seems too consistent in it's nature to be a connection, and the description of the problem is off IMO.

I would suspect a solenoid to act like this, where it will click only, but not even attempt to turn over.

I would suspect a loose connection to be a little less consistent. (again, just my opinion here...)

now, I have to admit that the problem sounds like no other starting problem I've seen, so,.....I'm wondering if it could be the key?

It hasn't happened again in about 4 or 5 days.....(just an update)...

I'm having the same problem on my 99 GS400. Replaced the battery 3-4 weeks ago and the problem went away. Now its back again. Go to start it and all you hear is click, turn key off and back on and she fires right up. Last weekend it did this and I put a Fluke 87 on my battery and turned it over. It started but the voltage dropped to 10.5 when cranking. I don't know if this is good or bad. If it is the starter how hard are they to change on a 99. When I look at prices for a new some say the intake may need to come off on some models and a water outlet. Thanks.

Let me know what you come up with, please.

I'm having the same problem on my 99 GS400. Replaced the battery 3-4 weeks ago and the problem went away. Now its back again. Go to start it and all you hear is click, turn key off and back on and she fires right up. Last weekend it did this and I put a Fluke 87 on my battery and turned it over. It started but the voltage dropped to 10.5 when cranking. I don't know if this is good or bad. If it is the starter how hard are they to change on a 99. When I look at prices for a new some say the intake may need to come off on some models and a water outlet.  Thanks.

I'm having the same problem on my 99 GS400. Replaced the battery 3-4 weeks ago and the problem went away. Now its back again. Go to start it and all you hear is click, turn key off and back on and she fires right up. Last weekend it did this and I put a Fluke 87 on my battery and turned it over. It started but the voltage dropped to 10.5 when cranking. I don't know if this is good or bad. If it is the starter how hard are they to change on a 99. When I look at prices for a new some say the intake may need to come off on some models and a water outlet.  Thanks.

The voltage dropping to 10.5v whilst the engine is turning over is normal.

:whistles:

Voltage at the battery is not the important thing here. It's voltage at the starter or start terminal of the starter. Hook the meter to the starter and check voltage, then check start terminal. You could have corrosion in either cable at either end. I think you have corrosion or starter solenoid is going out. Both of you guys live in humid, moisture rich environments where rust and corrosion prevail.

I had the same problem with my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. They told me it could be a problem with the chip in the key, but it was the molded wires around the computer chip or ECU chip i think it was called. It definitely sounds like a wiring probem for the car to start when you turn it back once. I used to have to turn the key on real quick to almost trick the sensors or something. It is probably wiring. I it helps

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it was my battery.  Bought one last night, put it in, car doing same thing.  When I turn the key to start the car, it will click once.  I turn the key back, and turn again, then it will start.  Again, I have bought a new battery thinking that was the problem.  What could it be?  Please help!  :(  1996 GS300...

I am having the same problem with my 98 GS400 replaced the battery and it is still happening. Also, it seems like this problem is causing my battery to drain because if i put my rear defroster on right after starting it the battery light comes on for a few seconds but seems to be charged back up enough after a few seconds for the light to go out... I am going to have the starter replaced, as it has never been replaced and the car noe has 102k on it..... other than that the car still drives like it is brand new.

Had the starter replaced... got lucky, they quoted me $280. for the job and stuck to their word..... i guess it's about a $600. job for the gs400. Anyway no more problems as of yet, but I do notice a big difference at start up....

My problem is gettig worse. It now takes 5 to 6 times of turning the key off and then on to start. Does anyone know how hard it is to get to or change the starter on a 99 gs400. Dealer wants about $900.00 to replace here in Atlanta. This sounds like a good project when the wife is off for the holidays. I priced the starter at a parts house and it was only like $150.00 plus core. I don't know what brand this is and have seen other brands on the net for $250.00 (Denso and Bosch). Does anyone know what brand is on the car or what is good. I think my only problem is the solenoid but I can't buy it. I'll keep ya'll posted on repairs

My problem is gettig worse. It now takes 5 to 6 times of turning the key off and then on to start. Does anyone know how hard it is to get to or change the starter on a 99 gs400. Dealer wants about $900.00 to replace here in Atlanta. This sounds like a good project when the wife is off for the holidays. I priced the starter at a parts house and it was only like $150.00 plus core. I don't know what brand this is and have seen other brands on the net for $250.00 (Denso and Bosch). Does anyone know what brand is on the car or what is good. I think my only problem is the solenoid but I can't buy it. I'll keep ya'll posted on repairs

I have a similar problem with my gs300. Only on the first cold start of the day, the car makes a clunk (or grind noise) for about a second, but the car still starts. Any start after that is fine. Any advice guys?

All better now. I checked on the location of the starter and found it is under the intake manifold. I called a Lexus mechanic and asked about my problem. He asked if I was at 100k and I'm at 115k and said that the starter contacts fail at this milage. He said he could replace the contacts for free because the labor was going to be $650 or he could replace the starter for the same price plus what ever the starter cost. I would of liked to done the repair myself but I need to get a good service manual(anyone know of a good one). I took the car into my Lexus dealer and they gave me a nice ES330 loaner for the weekend(no power). They called me and said my car was ready with a remanufactured starter for $650. A lot of money for a repair but I'm happy it is done and the way these dealers treat people I don't think I'll ever own another brand of car than a Lexus. These guys are great. The wifey was looking at a LX470 to trade the GS400 in on. I love this car and would hate to trade it. Is the LX470 a good SUV? Thanks for all the help you people gave.