Detailer put diesel in a brand new GX

Tj B.

My detailer put diesel gas and a brand new GX 470.  How bad is this? Is there anyway out of it without buying the car?

12 hours ago, Tj B. said:

My detailer put diesel gas and a brand new GX 470.  How bad is this? Is there anyway out of it without buying the car?

Putting diesel fuel in a gasoline engine can cause significant issues, but there are steps you can take to address it without having to buy a new car.

1. Do Not Start the Engine: If the engine hasn’t been started, you’re in a better position. Starting the engine can cause the diesel to circulate and potentially damage the fuel system.

2. Drain the Fuel Tank: The first step is to drain the diesel fuel from the tank. This usually involves removing the fuel tank or using a siphon pump to extract the fuel.

3. Flush the Fuel System: After draining the tank, the entire fuel system needs to be flushed to remove any remaining diesel. This includes the fuel lines, fuel pump, and fuel injectors.

4. Replace the Fuel Filter: Diesel can clog the fuel filter, so it’s essential to replace it after flushing the system.

5. Refill with Gasoline: Once the system is clean, refill the tank with the correct gasoline.

6. Check for Damage: Have a mechanic inspect the vehicle for any potential damage to the fuel system components.

If the engine was started, the situation becomes more complicated, and there might be damage to the fuel injectors, fuel pump, or even the engine itself. In this case, professional assessment and repair are crucial.

It’s a good idea to consult with a trusted mechanic to get a thorough inspection and estimate for any necessary repairs. 

If you did this to my car and started it, you are buying the car and I am getting another brand new one. No chance in hell I am assuming the long term risk when I can get another brand new un f'ed up replacement. You can sell your brand new dieseled GX for whatever you can get to mitigate your loss.

If it wasn't started I would be good with drain, flush tank and refill.